Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

FS: 28 volt - 100 amp generator
H-33F/AT (PRC-9 Handset)
Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Ramsey winch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ramsey winch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Ramsey winch Reply with quote

I found a Ramsey PTO winch for an old CJ It's DP-1 pto & 200R winch. I'm editing the post removing what I am paying because the price has changed suddenly and It is not that great a bargain

Last edited by rdsar2k on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't now, but that does not sound too bad considering the Ramsey 50R goes for 4000.00
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Bird in hand Reply with quote

Well I have it in hand. It's in great shape and does have the drive shaft bearing that he didn't think it had. All the bracketry is there, every thing turns and engages.
Funny thing is I wasn't even looking for this thing when I found it. I believe it is a rare thing for civilian jeeps. It has two sticks on the pto adapter; one to engage the pto and the other is to engage either the winch or the rear drive for a rear accessory like a rear winch or a generator or whatever. I found 1959 manual that listed original prices and this thing sold for 380.00 in 1959! Seems abit pricy for a winch and pto adapter.
Maybe I'll clean it up and sell it. Who knows maybe I'll get enough to make up for the money I have been spending on my M170 or maybe Ill end up with an expensive albatross. Even though it will fit my jeep I think this thing weighs too much for my rig as my springs are not as stout as a conventional jeep. Plus I'm going all original and I believe this would not be considered an original part. I think it might actually take away from it. Opinions???
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos would help.
I would try the CJ board on the G503 for selling it if you are not going to use it.

Sounds interesting.
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Pics Reply with quote

Thanks to Ryan I finally figured this out (I think). There are more pic's in my Gallery. Supposedly this came off a 1950 CJ. When I tried to nail it down to a model he would say yup to CJ2 CJ3 or CJ5. when I look at 'Merls' 1959 Ramsey catalog it seems to be the CJ-5 or six version based on where the winch handle is (on the grill side of the winch verses the front of the vehicle. I am wondering what the DPR-200R may mean? Or the stamping of the PTO body DP-102J verses the tag that says DP-1? Is this a rare setup? Is it a matching "Kit" or is it mix and match common stuff?

Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks cool.

Wes is a guru when it comes to winches. He has been fairly busy with his aircraft mechanic job lately, but he should be along in the next day or so.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DP 102J is the part number for the case.

The correct Ramsey PTO for the M38 and M38A1 is the 105 and the correct factory winch is the model 50. The 50R was a supply replacement stock item. These two units fit the jeep without any serious modifications. The PTO's drive line to driven line centers are a lot closer together than the PTO you just bought. This is why the correct PTO doesn't cause us to alter the exhaust. Your's will require exhaust mods. The 200 winch can be adapted to the M38 and M38A1 front frames but the original Willys fairlead frame doesn't seem to work well with it.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Worth putting on? Reply with quote

So Wes

Is it something that would take away from the value of my M170 if it were installed? Should I just sell it and be betteroff?

I had hoped it was an unusual setup. Thats the only reason I bought it an drove to tim buck two to get it. With gas as expensive as it is that was a major consideration.
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am installing a civvy pto winch on my m38. It wont lower the value at all. I would love to find a duel shifter pto.
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am installing a civvy pto winch on my m38. It wont lower the value at all. I would love to find a duel shifter pto.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may or may not lower the value. A picky buyer will point out the modifications required to install it which will need to be undone to make it a better scoring jeep when and if judged. A picky buyer will tend to believe the jeep has been rode hard and put away wet since it would look a lot like an off roader. A correct winch installation on a restored M38/M38A1 looks like it was done for accuracy of the resto and not for off roading. The M170 was not equipped with a winch by Willys/Kaiser. So, unless you need the winch for real off road work I would suggest you sell it to a CJ5 owner who is drooling to get one.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Makes sense Reply with quote

thanks wes

That's what I needed tohere. I guess it'll go on ebay soon
rdsar2k

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: It's on ebay Reply with quote

well I just did my first ebay listing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: