Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: C-375/VRC Interphone Control Box
wrong pic shown in radio installation manual pages?
WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 USAF frame and engine paint color?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 USAF frame and engine paint color?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokey1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: M38A1 USAF frame and engine paint color? Reply with quote

From searching on the web and looking at some photos of unrestored and restored photos I still trying to decide the most accurate restoration method for a 53' USAF M38A1 build

As I understand from other postings Willys chassis components were painted black as delivered to the factory. Willys then painted the chassis components OD Green for the Army,etc.

On a USAF A1 application, did Willys paint the chassis Strata Blue?
From pictures, it is hard to tell on a A1 if the frame and axles were left black or painted the same as the body.

What about Engine block and transmission? Were those left military green color or painted blue? I have not found a A1 engine bay picture that shows the engine block color.

Thank you in advance.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are dabbling in an area hithertoo un-explored.

The M38's are easy since they all left Willys 2430 OD (there are a few that will argue this point) and the very early A1's were all Willys OD. But around the 1953/54 period the individual services started pushing their own color needs through the Army contract system. Then by 1955 the other services dumped the Army Ordnance procurement system and started to contract directly with Kaiser.

Factory employess that have been interviewed do not recall M38's leaving any other color but 2430 OD. They do recall that early in A1 production the Navy, USAF, USMC, and Coast Guard colors started going out the door
but we have not been able to nail down the date.

We also have not been able to nail down the different paint layers since we have no one speaking on the web who has documented a other than Army M38A1's paint history.

Since economy of operation was paramount in the Factory I am going to assume the USAF A1's recieved Strata Blue on the sheet metal surfaces but that all the blue sheet metal parts were assembled on a standard OD 2430 chassis and drive train.

Hopefully some day we'll all be enlightened from someone who has some hard data to present.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
smokey1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info. I thank you again.

I'm leaning toward leaving the frame and axles black as they would from the OEM supplier. Paint the Body Blue, and engine/trans green.

Has anyone seen or beter yet documented any "factory" color on the engine block/Head/Trans for a military application other than green?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am restoring my 51 M38 as a USAF unit. I have the Strata Blue sheet metal done and after a lot of soul searching I have reached the conclusion that it's my jeep and I have to live with, pay for and support it. So that means no OD2430 for me on this project. Black frame and running gear and a gray engine/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
smokey1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Like a Navy Gray color for the engine block/head? At least that is a military grey unless there are others..
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at my Photo gallery if you want to see what Strata Blue and LT Gray engine look like...

That is what I did my M-38CDN in... could not find Canadian colors till 3 weeks AFTER I painted it and was not about to start over...
Bill_F

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
I am restoring my 51 M38 as a USAF unit. I have the Strata Blue sheet metal done and after a lot of soul searching I have reached the conclusion that it's my jeep and I have to live with, pay for and support it. So that means no OD2430 for me on this project. Black frame and running gear and a gray engine/

Wes,

I have also painted my frame and axles black on my m38, but I did paint the engine od. However on my frame it did recieve a coat of blue at some point in its life.....and I am one of the ones that have lots of evidence that the m38 might have come out of the factory blue, but lets not reopen that. I still would like to see pics of your jeep Wes.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bill,
My pre-paint photos are partially up on my photo album. They are the MC24747 photos.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: