Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Diff lock, front ot rear
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diff lock, front ot rear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Diff lock, front ot rear Reply with quote

Hi all,
it's been a while since I was here last (family presures) sure I don't have to say more.
Anyway, nice to be back.
Now, I have a Lock Right Powertrax Automatic Positive-locking Diff kit to put in my M38.

My question is this, which diff should I put it in?
Since it isn't needed most of the time and I'd be in 4x4 when it was needed I'm tempted to put it in the front diff as I run old 50s free wheel hubs on the front so I can isolate all the moving parts up front and save wear.

Or is it best off in the rear diff?
What's your advice,
thanks,
Dave.
kenperkins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

their not interchangeable..either you have a locker for the 44 rear or you have one for the front 25.
you'd be better served with the locker in the rear
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with lockers is on the paved road. Any attempt at posi in the rear on icy roads results in the rear end trying to slide sideways. Any other time they are great. If driving on icy roads is not in your plans then the rear is the way to go.

One good reason not to put it in the front is the difficulty it creates in steering the beast especially off road in bumpy terrain.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes,
I got this from Herm a few years ago and it's sat on a shelf ever since! can't remember now which one I bought front or rear and can't find anything on the box to tell me.
Pt Number 2110LR.RICH
Could LR be Locker Rear, guess I'll go and do some research. BUG Bare is winter ice is the problem.

The reason I was thinkiing of one in the front diff is with the free wheel hubs I can isolate it until I really need it.
Anyway this is minor thing at the moment as I have to replace the engine, and sort and oil leak on the tranny, and do the swivle pins, and straighten a shakel.
Hey Hoe,
Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've managed to download a doc from the Reichmond gears site and it looks like Pt No, 2110 is for the 25 diff so this looks like a front kit, unless anybody knows better.............................
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
In your case the front would be a good choice and would give you the best bite in an emergency with the weight biased to the front. Of course as I said above the steering will be a bear in tight turns.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, just so I've got this straight and I'm not misssing something really obvious (as I'm no expert)

The steering will be a very difficult, I understand that. But, that will be when the front axle is engauged, correct? When it's disengaged at the transfer box, and the free wheel hubs are set to free wheel then there will be no difference in the steering wieght? because the diff isn't turning.

On the rare occasions I need this lock I can live with the heavy steering.

One of my concerns is the increased stress on the steering box caused by the fight between me and the traction.

She steers fine (though seems to have a totally different feel to my MB) but it might show up any weakness in that little box with a suddden increase in wear or a failure.

Which brings me to my next question, but it's a job for the future, are there any rebuild kits availble for these steering boxes, I remember Ryan some years ago went through this I think?
Thanks,
Dave.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
You are correct the extra steering effort will only be when the locker is in play. I do not believe it would cause a serious increase in gear box wear. Yes Midwest Military sells bearing kits. Keep in mind the USMC M38A1 contracts of the 60's all came with posi's both front and rear.

davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I remember why I bought this now, I could use it in the rear of the M201 or the front of the M35.
Ah... I see only dimly through the mists of time.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Maybe a stupid question but I have what seem to be the standard hubs from the manual pictures. They do not have locks on them. What can I expect driving off road with this? Or is there any difference? My understanding of the hub-lock is to allow the wheels to rotate freely but leave the front axle and front drive shaft from rotating. How beneficial would it be for me to add that to my jeep in the future? I intend to use it on local roads, paved and dirt, and within a 50 mile radius. Thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking hubs serve two main functions. The reduce wear on the front axle and drive shaft and they save fuel. They do nothing to improve 4wd performance.

whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. That's what I thought. Sounds like if I plan to drive it a fair bit then adding those locking hubs is a good idea. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: