Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Horn problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horn problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenk

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Horn problem Reply with quote

I bought a replacement horn that the owner said worked. My original did not although I seemed to remenmber the same test results. Maybe a higher voltage through the horn. I have a new wiring harness and horn switch installed. The new wiring harness only has one connector for the horn. The other I made up to go to ground at the fender. When i depress the horn switch, I get 24.5Vdc through my meter at the harness connnector to ground. Whe I hook the harness connector up to replacement horn, no sound and I get about 19.5 VDC from the second horn terminal to ground. Does it sound like another bad horn or am I missing something? Is these anything else I should check?

The horn switch has not yet been installed in the steering box and is working.

Thanks

Ken
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your ground from the horn to the fender or from the switch.

The horn needs to be grounded.

There should be two wires going to the horn.

Check the wiring diagram in the TM9 8012
Kenk

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

I was grounding the horn to the fender. Correct me but if I close the horn switch and with my meter, check voltage between the terminal on the horn going to the ground and the ground point, if I have voltage there, the horn should work. Does the master switch have to be on? It should not matter if I have voltage to the horn when the switch is closed.

Ken
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the M38 the horn switch is always hot. I looked at the wiring dagram and it shows the one wire is ground to the fender like you said.

I would test the continuity of the horn switch - without the button depressed and with it depressed. That should tell you if the switch is working.

Also check the horn.

I am no master electrical guru, but start there. Is the horn autolite or sparks-withington?
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For testing the horn alone. directly connect it to the 24 volt source mometarily, (the batteries) +24 volts & -24volts. This will of coarse eliminate the switch and wiring. Then you can go from there in your elimination of the other components.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes while testing with the batteries, you can rap on the horn and jar it and it will come to life. Stuck in other words. I haven't looked at mine yet, but there may also be a adjusting screw to set the tone with. Moving this will also help jar it back into life. If the horn can be dissassembled, sometimes you can clean the points with fine wet or dry sandpaper and get them to work again. Good luck! Heck, maybe you can fix your old one too! Very Happy John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: