Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Grimes Signal Light
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grimes Signal Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Grimes Signal Light Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. I'm sure Wes will chew a new one if it is not. While looking over an estate sale at a local ranch, I ran across a Grimes Signal light, Model K-3, Air Corps Type C-3-A, 12 and 24 volt, and a number on the outside case 82-544076. The case is black and contains a hand held signal light and three colored lenses, still in their original cardboard box. The data sheet does not indicate a date for the instrument and since it says Army Corps Type, I presume it is WWII vintage. It has a wire lead and a two prong plug that looks like a 110 AC plug. The condition is remarkable and looks newer. If anyone knows about this item or would be interested please contact me or advise the list.

The widow would like to know the value for when she has a yard sale. I'd just like to know how it was used. I presume it could have been used on hastily built airfields in lieu of a tower. Any old aviators out there?

Thanks once again...Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was used by towers, flightline safety officers and maintenance folks and in the aircraft. It's primary purpose was for signalling and usually just the standard tower signals. Steady green go. Steady red stop. Flashing red/green return to starting point. I haven't seen one with a for sale price in years but I would imagine somewhere between $25 and $100.

It would look just fine in your jeep. I still recall seeing those in use during the 60's and 70's when I was still in the Air Force.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
acengraver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of the Grimes C3A Lights. Mine says US Army Air Forces. The plug is missing but it has the colored lenses and a mask that narrows the beam down to a smaller diameter. I paid about $35 or $40 dollars for it a few years ago at a local gun show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: