Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

FS: 28 volt - 100 amp generator
H-33F/AT (PRC-9 Handset)
Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New guy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsterdave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: New guy Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm brand spanking new to the world of Willy's. I've wanted a MB or GPW for as long as I can remember. Spent 5 years in the Marine Corps, got out 3 years ago and now I have a good steady paying job and my own house with a garage that I can store it in.

Basically I know nothing, but I'm willing and want to learn. I'm trying to find a MB or GPW in Southern California but they seem to be impossible to find. I'm not looking for anything fully restored, just something running, not a daily driver, but something for the weekends to keep local. I've tried craigslist and ebay with zero luck.

Anyone in So. Cal or know of anyone in So. Cal? Thanks for any help.
jeepers52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking! They do come up. Some can get very $$$$. The WWII Jeeps are in high demand. I was looking at a 44 GPW in Tucson just last week the Guy wanted $3,000 for it and it was really rough, lots of Bubba mods, did not run, and rusted in way to many places. If you are willing to go to the newer Jeeps the M38A1 is a great Jeep and they will get hard to find soon.

Six years ago I started looking for a GPW or MB, and ended up with an M38. I love it and now they are getting hard to find. I am not disappointed with my Jeep at all. They all have a bit of history in them. AND they are all the real deal, no plastic.

Good luck and thank you for your service to this great country.

1952 M38 Jeep
1952 M38 Jeep (project)
1945 T-3 Bantam trailer
linx310

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea for what people want for a GPWs and MBs you can get a decent running M38A1.

Though in the past year or so it seems like the M38A1s are starting to become popular because they are cheaper to get into.

Not to mention they are better jeep. I always have to mentioned that to the WW2 jeep guys Razz
53a1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an A1.

If you look at all the psychos and prices on the G why would you want to get caught up in that. I've seen A1s that need restoration for as little as 500 bucks. You also have a better chance of finding a good engine. Plus your marriage will last longer.
Monsterdave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53a1 wrote:
Get an A1.

If you look at all the psychos and prices on the G why would you want to get caught up in that. I've seen A1s that need restoration for as little as 500 bucks. You also have a better chance of finding a good engine. Plus your marriage will last longer.

Ha! I'm 26 and single, so that last part is definitely not a problem.

I'm just very into the MB/GPW look. But still, I can't find anything in southern california, just did a quick search for M38.
jam51m38cdn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t forget what JEEP stands for , Just Empty Every Pocket Once you have restored one you`ll understand that completely !!
Boze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonsterDave,

Do your research. Go to shows, check out the g503 and steel soldiers and Military Vehicles magazine. Talk to owners. But some books written about the Jeep and other vehicles. This is not a decision to rush into. In the end, you will want the Jeep you want, not someone else's idea of what you should have. All models have their problems and their attractions - and their detractors and their fans. It's sort of like dating - when you find the right one, you will know. Good luck, Marine.
Deino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option you have if you can't find a jeep you like close by is having one shipped to you. It's a risky option, because chances are you won't actually see the jeep before it's at your home, and something could always go wrong during the trip. It will also limit your budget more, depending on how far the vehicle needs to be moved. However, I chose this option and everything turned out great. Fortunately the seller was honest and truck driver was a responsible person.

1952 M38 (MC56474, 33 108M HQ6)
1953 M38A1 (MD54216, 40-I-160I B-35)
1954 M170 (MD-A10513)
1964 M416 1/4 Ton Trailer (35-138F CT-12)
53a1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monsterdave,

If you are single and looking try to find a grease monkey biker chick. Normal girls are incapable of understanding about these things and can slow a restoration or bring it to a halt. A biker chick might speed up the resto by helping turn wrenches.
jam51m38cdn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice original MB on the cj3a page for sale in PA. Go to cj3a and click on links then willys tech then free buy sell swap board. Looks like it`s mostly all there
madmike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider checking out the West Coasy Willys Club. Although they are a national org. they have more members on the west coast and they of course, have a listing of vehicles and parts for sale. Not as many military vehicles in the group but there are a few and the members may know of a good gpw out there for you. Clubs are he best resouce to find the best vehicles. Members will prefer to sell to fellow club members, at a better price, rather than to someone who is going to resell just for a profit. And buying something located 2,000 miles is veeeery risky. I only did it once and will never do it again. They are never as good as represented.

If interested, WCW has a web site at westcoastwillys.com and/or email them at info@westcoastwillys.com

You found the right site for tech help when you find your Jeep. These guys are great. Also the Camp Delta meet is next week outside of Stockton, Ca. It's all week and lots of vehicles for sale. I'm going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: