Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Rhino liner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhino liner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beacher425

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Rhino liner Reply with quote

My tub has old rhino liner or other black bed liner on the interior. Most of the front floor panels came up ok but some of the tub to frame bolts are completely covered over. Has anyone delt with this before? How do you remove bed liner?
swat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood chisel and ball peen hammer.
BullRun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that is right. Do not grind it or heat it in any way as the material is urethane based.

When urethanes get heated beyond a certain point and start to proceed into a state of decomposition urethanes chemically change into a range of highly toxic substances including (depending on the initial urethane formula) cyanide gas.

We used to use full face air-fed respirators and hazmat type suits when working with urethanes that needed to be trimmed or modified.

Anything with a isocyanate origin is to be avoided in the home shop or even commercial if possible.
Beacher425

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will be cafeful how i approach this. I may just chisel out what I need out to get the bolts free.
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option, but you would have to discuss with the shop the practicality and safety issues, is to find an industrial sand blaster with a walk-in or drive- in style blasting room. These are self contained dust containment rooms that filter the air and provide safety suits and breathing apparatus to their workers.

One more is a spot sand blaster that is contained within a vacuum cleaning system so the dust never gets into the atmosphere at all. These are often used on bridges to remove old lead paint.

Both methods are industrial processes done at or by professionals and their facilities and should not be tried at home.

I am estimating that an M38 tub would be in the $500 to $1200 dollar range to clean as even though it is covered in Rhino Liner this is still fairly standard work for these types of companies.

Check out the Thomas Register online for industrial blasters in your area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: