Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Carb Performance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carb Performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlitzAttack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Carb Performance Reply with quote

Does the original YS carb perform better than a Solex replacement? I have the Solex on there right now, it runs good but absolutly no power. I realize its an army jeep but just curious if I swapped the YS on there if it would have a little more pep.

Thanks
Casey
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Solex is a popular band aid to a Carter that needs work but the owner isn't up to it.

You'll get comments from both sides of the fence but I will say here that a properly overhauled Carter YS950S will perform equal to or better than the new Solex.

With that said note I did not condemn your Solex. If you are familiar enough with the operation of the F134 enough to determine when it truly lacks it's original performance then you have two choices if you have ascertained that fuel delivery is the issue.[b][u]

1-Repair or properly adjust the Solex. The Solex is very sensitive to fuel pressure settings. The M38A1 fuel pump output is at the high end of the Solex's tolerance. In most Solex installations in the M38/M38A1/M170 a fuel pressure regulator must also be installed. Start with a copy of the correct maintenance sheet for your Solex.

2-Install a rebuilt YS950S.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BlitzAttack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help

Casey
randall1234500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Carb Performance Reply with quote

BlitzAttack wrote:
Does the original YS carb perform better than a Solex replacement? I have the Solex on there right now, it runs good but absolutly no power. I realize its an army jeep but just curious if I swapped the YS on there if it would have a little more pep.

Thanks
Casey

I just replaced a Solex with a new Carter YF carb and my M38A starts and runs better, but, still runs too rich....I tried the idle needle adjustment but that didn't help.
Any good ideas what to look for ? The exhaust smokes when in idle.
Thanks,
Randall
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your idle mixture screw new or used? If it is used it may have a groove cut in it. That will make it difficult to adjust. My carburetor was supposedly rebuilt when I purchased it. The idle mixture screw was worn out and would not lean out.
I fixed it myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: