Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

H-33F/AT (PRC-9 Handset)
Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Temperature guage testing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temperature guage testing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiltshireboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Temperature guage testing Reply with quote

Whats the best way to test a guage?
I have a multimeter and can rig 24VDC.
I dont want to have to put it in the control panel and run the engine if I can help it.
I have several in my spares box, courtesy of the previous owner. I want to put a 60 - 260 in instead of an odd looking one that has a much larger range. I also have a pressure guage 0 - 120 and am wondering if the testing process would be the same? Question
major519

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 24v power supply you should just be able to hook it up with a couple test leads. A variable supply would work better as you could test various voltages, eg 12, 18, 24v

If the pressure gauge has a copper tube, make up an adaptor to a regulator on a compressed air line to see if it reads
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original military gauges are a bit more complex. They not only use a grounded circuit through their sender to measure the change in resistance they also require a ground path for the instrument's motor power.

The proper way to test these instruments and their senders is in accordance with the Army TB 9-2300-228-20 Tactical Transport and Combat Vehicles: Troubleshooting for Instrument Cluster Gages, Switches, Circuit Breakers, Sending Units and Related Wiring dated 8 July 1960.

You can download a copy at Bob Westerman's site:
http://www.cj3a.info/sibling/milgauge/milgage.htm

Remember when you have a gauge issue always check the sender's ground, the connections at the sender and Gauge and the gauge's housing ground through the dash. On my M series trucks I add a separate ground cable between the instrument cluster assembly and the firewall. If you have repainted the gauges and the cluster panel and have not left bare metal contact area for each gauge housing to the cluster panel and for the cluster panel to the dash then it would be wise to do so now or add a separate ground wire for each gauge to the firewall.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Wiltshireboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys, I am now looking at the manual Wes. Thanks.
I need to do the extra earth wire for the fuel guage anyway as it is a bit erratic. So will put in one of the temp guages and see if it works.
Andy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuel tank can be the worse for finding a good ground. Too much new paint always. Generally a separate 16 gauge wire from the tub to one of the screws on the sender is all that is needed.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: