Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

FS: 28 volt - 100 amp generator
H-33F/AT (PRC-9 Handset)
Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 front axle lubrication & battery questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 front axle lubrication & battery questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: M38 front axle lubrication & battery questions Reply with quote

Hello; new to this Forum. I restored my ’51 M38 back in 1984-85 (won first in class at ’85 MVCC convention) and am now doing a refresh.

Question: What is the best lubricant for the front axle outer joints? I originally packed them in heavy grease, but have read opinions all over the map. I understand the original specifications called for 90W gear oil, but this would probably leak since the seals are a bit crude.

Question 2: I’ve controlled the leakage from both batteries and do not have any corrosion, and have two new, unused military batteries (dry). However, I want to use AGM batteries, that I use in my boats and most other applications. Does anyone know of the most compatible AGM (Optima or Sears Die Hard) battery from a form factor standpoint? I want to fit the battery trays and I presume width is the deciding factor, with the AGM being short in length.
AeroE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read OLDSALT's post below mine & it probably answered my lube question.
magnum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just finishing up my 52' M38 and got the same thing on the front joints. Since mine had Rapeza's joints, when you use grease the grease will get slapped agints the side of the housing and not lubricate the joints. I used 140w on the advice of several Jeep guys and it has worked great. With new seals, a littlet heavier oil, everything is lubricated and nothing leaks. Good luck!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the professed best lubes will work just fine for the axle knuckle components weather you have Zeppa, Bendix or tracta. The spicer requires hand packing with #2 chassis lube as do the steering pivot bearings (upper and lower). This is the most abused lube interval on the jeep. Every 4 to 6 thousand miles those knuckles, by design, were meant to be disassembled, cleaned and repacked by hand with #2 chassis lube. This hand packing is the ONLY way to insure adequate lube to the two steering pivot bearings and the spicer joint if you have them.

Those who then go one step further and hand pack the entire knuckle housing with #2 chassis lube are not doing themselves any favors. Especially those located in the colder climates where the grease thickens and decreases fuel mileage, increases rolling resistance in 4 WD and and turning resistance all the time. This was the lube standard though thru 1960 when Kaiser changed the manual lube charts to gear oil. But Kaiser still requires the initial 4 to 6 thousand mile cleaning and repacking of the steering pivot bearings with 3 2 chassis lube then after assembly of the knuckle add the gear oil. For those of you down in warmer areas you could stay with all #2 chassis lube or you could replace the gear oil with a much heavier off the shelf oil. The early ford Non-hypoid differential gear oil can be used. It is 600 weight.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
AeroE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lube advice.

Anyone have any regarding batteries? Surely someone else is using AGM batteries for routine use. Fit is the issue.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are not running with the axles locked in all the time, but only occasionally to lubricate the joints, is the 4 to 6k mile interval still recommended?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running locking hubs in the free wheel position then you could stretch it out. Otherwise the knuckle is always turning .

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: