Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Safety reminder
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety reminder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Safety reminder Reply with quote

This is just a public safety reminder for all you dumb as*es out there like me. Just take a second to think before you do anything. I know this stuff is second nature to alot of you and some (like me) have done the same thing over and over so many times it feels like second nature.

I was trying to get the jeep to start. Fire at the points but not the plug. I finally (after setting the timing twice by removing the distributor) removed the cap and noticed electrical tape and crimp on ring connectors on the coil wires. I decided to remove the distributor one more time (it will only take a second anyway - I can do it with my eyes closed now). I cut the switch off and started loosening the distributor hold down screw when WHAM, FLASH! - my ring finger was burning like $&% Shocked . I ran around swinging my finger trying to cool it down 'til I could manage to slide the ring off before it started swelling. I grabbed a beer to cool it down, then opened it and thought about my stupidity (this was my first beer of the day, by the way).

I had become complacent in removing and replacing the distributor. After checking out the scene of the accident, I realized that even though the distributor didn't have power going to it because the switch was off, the starter is always hot. When I was loosening the hold down bolt, my ring touched the starter contact strap or post and grounded through the wrench to the distributor hold down bolt to the block!

Now my ring finger has a nice little fluid filled sac on the bottom and still burns. It will be a while before I can wear my ring again (I haven't taken it off more than a couple of times in 10 years), but I can guarantee I won't be wearing it when doing any electrical work again! My ring will keep the memory alive though - you can just see the part I couldn't sand down.

Be careful out there ya'll

[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in electronics for 35 years and to this day DO NOT wear a wedding ring for that reason (it is on a chain around my neck as a neclace; no pun intended)... I deal with battery banks that are ths size of chest freezers and hold thousands of amps of stored current... I have melted a 3/4" file in half once...

Always respect electricity, you never know when it will reach out and touch you!!!!

Glad you only got a burn, it could have been much worse...

Keep in mnd folks in the correct circumstances a 9volt battery can kill you...

Hope this helps...
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good reminder. I worked in electrical field also and didn't wear a ring.

Wilf soak that finger in some ice water and then put aloe vera on that burn, straight from the plant preferably. If it has been awhile since the event it may not help now.

Last edited by Cacti_Ken on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
bikemancs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tip that doesn't apply only to electrical systems.

I know of two separate occurrences, in two separate theaters of operation, where individuals were dismounting armored vehicles and their rings caught on something and damaged or removed the finger. One was in S. Korea when a guy was dismounting an Abrams. The other was when we were in Iraq and someone got it caught on slat armor on a MRAP.

Thankfully you have a much smaller and heal-able reminder!
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rings and ladder rungs are a bad combination also
RickC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never wear my ring but my buddy actually burned his ring in half when loostening the adjustment screw under the distributor and the ring hit the battery cable on the starter......
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough lesson to learn. In both the Army and the Air Force (I had 22 years between them) it was very strictly enforced, No rings on the job! I married when I was in the Air Force 41 years ago and wore my new wedding band that Sat and Sun and then never again. I still don't wear it today. It has been in my wife's jewelry box since that Sunday in June 1970.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
artificer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow on from WEZ as ex military....from day one no rings or watches with metal bands....
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
Bill_F

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing as you and have the same junk taken out of my ring. My figure healed up pretty good but it did hurt a lot.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we had a guy jump off the back of an M113 and got his ring caught on something - broke his finger, but at least he didn't loose it. The rule was not to wear them, but you know - some people always will.

The blister broke while I was riding the 4 wheeler last night - feels much better now. Lesson learned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Beast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Wes, my ring is also in the wifes jewlery box. Mine didn't even make it until we left for our honeymoon the next morning. I work way too much with my hands and have seen way too many people mangle a finger because of thier ring. Wife knew it as an understaning from the start that I don't wear rings, nor do I need one to show my love for her.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put my ring on after retiring, my wife asked, "Why are you putting it on now, you haven't worn it all those years" I had to explain again why I didn't wear it. I even had to get it resized.
RICKG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time only..'65 GTO..should have been an easy horn button
fix.. but BZZZZ.. not a wedding ring but my HS class ring.
Hands and wrists are always clear when working w/any
machinery..
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll throw my bit in.
I grew up working and around sailboats and sailing ships (tall ships) and worked as a salvage diver for a few years. We never wore rings or any jewelry for this very reason. Also, we tended to avoid wearing necklaces for the same reason. Your leaning over a whirring motor. It's a hot day and your shirt is loose. Your necklace gradually slips out and when you least expect it WHAM! It is ripped off, taking a good chunk of your neck with it and almost pulling your head into the motor.
I seen a bunch of injuries to ring fingers, almost ripped off, striped of flesh like a striped wire, completely severed.
As those in and former military note, take those things off before you start this kind of work. Rick's story here is a great reminder.
When I was overseas I wore my ring on my dog tags and we often secured those to our pants and stuck them in our pocket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: