Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Vapor lock? Bad ignition part? Or . . .?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vapor lock? Bad ignition part? Or . . .?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Vapor lock? Bad ignition part? Or . . .? Reply with quote

I've been using the A1 to run errands lately.

Twice, on hot afternoons, 90+, it failed to start after shutting it off and going into a store for 20-30 mins.

Both times I opened the hood, let it sit for 30 minutes or so, and it started right up.

Next time I take it out during the heat of the day I'm going to leave the hood open when I shut it off and see if that makes a difference.

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close are your fuel lines to the exhaust manifolds - this was more of an issue with the M38 than the M38A1, but it does bear some consideration.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rebelling and wants to go back into the mountains. You have to go back to the basics when it fails and check for fuel, spark etc. If the base of the carb shows wet gas residue, it's flooding due to a overfull float bowl. You may need to clean the carb out and re-assemble. Primary seat /float could be leaking by. Gas tank is venting OK, etc. Gas would be the first check, but my money is on cleaning the carb. You obviously have had a recent change in something after all the drives and videos. If it was electric, it wouldn't run well after running a while. Heat would be coil , which is the opposite here. If you don't have gas at the carb until alot of cranking, you may have a loose fuel line or air leak, or fuel pump acting up. Keep us informed on what you find. Forewarned is forearmed, especially with British. I found on my Brit cars that have sat until their turn each year that the primary inlet bango feed where the fuel enters the SU's, the needle and seat gum up and stick. A tap with the wood handled screwdriver suddenly allows fuel to enter the floats and wallah Vroom! Laughing John
jbjeeps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close is fuel line? The line that leaves the pump and goes to carb exits at back of pump and goes between pump and engine, about 3 inches below the exhaust manifold at the closest point. It's an aftermarket pump, no vacumn chamber.

I'm guessing fuel too John. Thanks for the good checklist of possibles. I probably need to add "rebuild carb" to this winter's work list.

Wants to go back to the mountains? Roger that! We're planning a trip up into the Boise National Forest for Saturday, October 15. I'll be posting trip info on the forum tomorrow. Check it out! Join us!

See you at the Old Jeep Rendezvous in Ashton, Idaho 9:00 am - Noon on the first Saturday after July 4th. All pre-1970 Jeep vehicles, military or civilian, stock or modified welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: