Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - I pulled off the rear brakes today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I pulled off the rear brakes today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: I pulled off the rear brakes today Reply with quote

to swap out to 11" drums. There are some shims and seals involved, I cleaned them up a little bit, put a thin layer of silicone on the shims, and put them back in. I'm wondering if maybe I should replace them? I looked them up online, and they are fairly cheap. The old oil seal looks like a leather seal inside a metal ring, and I'm thinking that might be pretty close to wearing out!

Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
jimm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason to replace the shims unless the axle end play is not correct. See my post (under my former user name) on axle end play at http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5758&highlight=axle+end+play

I don't like your "thin layer of silicone" approach. Any "thin" layer of silicone is going to be more than the proper tolerances you should be working with on this assembly, and silicone is flexible whereas the steel on steel shims are solid. You probably just increased your axle end play. If you are set on using a sealant, a better solution is copper Spray-A-Gasket, Permatex 80697, which goes on a lot thinner than silicone. But bear in mind that this area is filled with grease, not oil, so not likely to leak.

The old oil seal I think you are referring to ("J") is actually a grease retainer, and is there to keep wheel bearing grease from coming out and getting into the brakes. That's pretty important! The inner seal ("B") is to keep both the differential oil and the wheel bearing grease where they belong. If you've pulled the axles, I suggest replacing this seal and cleaning, inspecting, replacing if necessary, and repacking the wheel bearings if you don't have any personal knowledge of the history of maintenance of this assembly. Who knows what you might find, like bad wheel bearings.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at this point, the shims have silicone on them. Until i sanded them, they had some rust. Maybe I should just replace all the bearings and seals from the wheel bearings out
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
GPA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, at this point, the shims have silicone on them. Until i sanded them, they had some rust. Maybe I should just replace all the bearings and seals from the wheel bearings out

...and set the endplay, buy a shim kit.
artificer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me be the devil's advocate here....what are you doing with the front brakes?
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fronts already done, I did that weeks ago. It has a different setup, and I had to drill out and helicoil two spots, and get new locking hubs.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11's fit behind stock wheels? I thought I had heard about issues there. Maybe it was with civy 15" wheels though. I can't remember.
jimm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bretto wrote:
11's fit behind stock wheels? I thought I had heard about issues there. Maybe it was with civy 15" wheels though. I can't remember.

Yes, they do. That's what combo is on my M38. There is maybe a 1/2" to spare all around, so I could see why they wouldn't work with 15" wheels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: