Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Out of the shop
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Out of the shop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Out of the shop Reply with quote

Well - nice day. I got the M38 out of the shop, ran it around the farm with it's new tires (happy I went with the 7.00-16s ). attached photo

http://s1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/Texbillhs/?action=view&current=IMG_2146.jpg

To do -- I'll be looking for a cowl battery box or just the cover as it is only for show. I will cut out the fording cut-outs and then blank it off with a plate (as John at Mid-West said on the M38 parts Pp 11, if you don't have a folding kit, cover the cut-out). I have most of the lifting hooks, footman, top bow storage brackets, ax and shovel brackets and a correct set of vac wiper motors. I would like to find a set of bows/rods, a canvas top and a back seat. All in good time.

I found in a parts box part of a serial number plate - looks like 35373. This is suppose to be a 1950. The guy I bought it from and the guy before him is trying to get a signature from the fellow before that to get me a clear title. Question - is there any Willys serial number data in 1950 and is there a cross reference from the serial number plate Willys put on to the hood number they painted on the hoods (I saw a photo of M38 at the factory lined up for shipment with hood numbers - so I assume Willys painted them on)

As anyone used a Solex carb? A antique car restorer friend suggested that I quit fooling with the carb and buy a Solex.

I am going to forgo purity and put a pair of steps on - I am too old for a step-less jeep.
chuck

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the correct carb? Yes a Solex is cheap, but your jeep will run better with the YS637S.
I have a decent battery box cover, painted and ready to put on for $25.
Chuck
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: carb Reply with quote

The one I have is a Carter WO - I am more inclined to think the problem is that the linkage it has seen better days. I have a bid on one, if I get it we will see. As it is it runs pretty good but stalls unless I maintain a high idle - sometimes it will run a few minutes if set at a regular 600-800 rpm idle, but eventually it chokes up and stalls. I've checked the airways, the idle jet and the settings. If I don't get the one I have a bid on, maybe I'll try rebuilding. All the kits I have seen are just the internals, I need to redo the linkage on the outside too.

I'll take that cover - actually I think we messaged last week - I was going to look it up if I can find it.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
part of a serial number plate - looks like 35373

September 1951 serial number. Only 1563 M38's built in 1950 with 6 of them pre-production pilot models delivered around Jun/Jul 1950 and the rest production models from Sep thru Dec 1950. Since serialization at Willys starts with 10001 that makes the last 1950 serial MC11563.

Quote:
A antique car restorer friend suggested that I quit fooling with the carb and buy a Solex.

The only Solex carbs still produced today are from India. They do not do that well off road and require linkage mods and plumbing adjustments. The WO is a good carb when properly rebuilt, adjusted and maintained. The YS series for the M38 and M38A1 are rather expensive even when purchased used. They have vacuum operated metering rod and accelerator pump. There was a later YF carb built for the late 60's DJ3A L134 engine that would fill your bill nicely.

Quote:
is there a cross reference from the serial number plate Willys put on to the hood number

No. The WWII jeeps have a published reference for their's found many years ago at Willys. No one has to date produced any factory record for the post WWII jeeps.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Solex-equipped M38 runs very well. Not sure of the top end because the speedo runs out of lines after 60! Laughing
jam51m38cdn

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`d like to see that 60 mph, at 45 mph your stretching the rods on a L-134 Rolling Eyes
Texbillhs

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: did see a you tube of a M38 or CJ running an overdrive test Reply with quote

I did see a you tube of a M38 or CJ running an overdrive test - he ran it first in regular gearing and then overdrive - it was nearly 60 - think it was over 60 remembering - the guy called his jeep Gen. Willys - I'd never push and engine like that - got too much invested
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making the point that the Solex carb has functioned so far well right out of the box. I don't push the jeep that fast normally - usually 50mph as a max cruise, sometimes 55mph if I'm on a highway and someone wants to mate with the rear of my jeep and jeep don't want to. But it is capable of 60+.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: