Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 Engine question.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 Engine question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: M38A1 Engine question. Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
So I'm in the process of looking at engines for my A1. I have the opportunity to look at one for sale. What is a good asking price for this engine? It is complete with Carb, Fuel pump, water pump and even a 12V distributor. The owner doesn't know if it works but says it turns freely. What would be a good price to pay for an engine that may or may not work? I'm assuming the worst and going to say it doesn't work. Here are a few pics. Thoughts?

Also, for those trained in the art of A1's, Everything is there for the engine that can be seen from the outside correct? I know the water pump is missing the fan, I know the generator is not attached. I plan on turning it back to 24 and will need the distributor. But other than that, this is a good base engine platform correct?

Pics are over on the G.
http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=221066
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best you can offer for that engine is what a rebuilder like Midwest Military or Surplus City Jeeps parts requires for the core charge on an exchange. Even then the core value drops if the cam and crank are bad. I have purchased dozens of 134 Willys engines over the years and for one laying on the floor with no warranty it will run and no way to hear it run I have never paid more than $150 for it.

What is not correct on that engine?:
1-Front mount plate is for a pre 1952 chassis. Both mount ears face aft.(Civilian)
2-Wrong fuel pump.(Civilian)
3-Wrong carb. (Civilian)
4-Wrong distributor.(Civilian)
5-Wrong water pump pulley. (civilian)
6-Wrong crank pulley. (Civilian)
7-Wrong rocker arm cover. (Civilian)
8-Wrong oil filler tube. (Civilian)
9-Wrong generator mount. (Civilian)
10-Missing lower pulley shield.
11-Missing oil filter.

If you are lucky and can find all these parts used and rebuildable you are looking at over $800 in used parts and another $500 in rebuilding costs for them. If the engine's crank is not rebuildable another $200 or more. To overhaul the engine another $800 to $1500.

Compare these costs to John's parts list on http://www.midwestmil.com/

I would pick that engine up for no more than $75 as a parts unit and continue to shop for a later more correct F134.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes' info on the parts and his advice is worth the price of admission!

Jim in Darkest Arkansas
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks Wes! The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a motorpool quality restorable engine. I figured this was a CJ5 engine and was just wondering what a good price was. His asking prices is way more than $75 so I may just leave this one alone. Thanks again for your help!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't a CJ5 engine. With that front mount plate it was eitehr modified to fit in a flat fender jeep 41-52 or it came out of an early F134 pickup or wagon or jeepster from 1947 thru 52. The engine's serial number will ID what chassis it came from.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
That wasn't a CJ5 engine. With that front mount plate it was eitehr modified to fit in a flat fender jeep 41-52 or it came out of an early F134 pickup or wagon or jeepster from 1947 thru 52. The engine's serial number will ID what chassis it came from.

He said it was in a CJ3a he bought. He said it wasn't the correct engine for a CJ3A so he wanted to sell it. I asked for the serial number above the water pump and he said that there wasn't anything there. I have some pictures of the casting numbers if that'll help. Send me a PM with your email and I can send them to you.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then that explains the modification of the engine with the early rear eared front plate. There were only two F134 casting numbers back then. 646228 up through 52 and 807895 from 52 on through most CJ production by Willys & Kaiser. It's possible the serial number was machined off the block during an overhaul but more likely he did not take a little spray brake cleaner and a scotchbrite pad to clean it up and view the numbers which are usually lightly stamped. At any rate my estimates should be heeded no matter how proud he is of that engine. Wink

BullRun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put an ad in the MVPA for an engine. I would bet that someone local has an MD engine looking for a jeep. It is not that rare of an engine given the production numbers.

If you can make it to the Aberdeen show in May someone might have an engine or know of one too. It is amazing what shows up there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: