Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Pulling problem.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulling problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Pulling problem. Reply with quote

Replaced the steering oil with Ford 600, turned the box screw just a little, and steering is responsive and sharp now. I bled the brakes again, tightened the adjusting rod, and the pedal is nice and stiff. But now, especially when I hit the brakes hard, the vehicle pulls to the right. I know this is a wheel issue. The tire spins freely on a lift, so nothing is binding. Maybe the pad to drum distance need to be adjusted?
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your other post you were discussing adjusting the brake pedal free play and the shoe to drum clearance. We came away from that discussion with firm advice to adjust per the manual and you would have to use the early IH Scout book for the shoe to drum adjustment.

You never mentioned a pull to one side in any of the other posts you started this week.

Now you say you have adjusted pedal free play and bled the brakes and now have a pull to right side when applying the brakes. It stands to reason now that your bleeding left some air in one of the left wheel cylinders. Unless you actually had the pull to right issue all along and failed to mention it in your posts. Confused

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was there, both me and my mechanic friend Chris noticed it. It had popped up at random while the jeep was sitting for months waiting for the engine to be rebuilt. We thought, with some driving, it might disappear. I thought it mostly did, and it seamed with the loose steering wheel play that it could be neither, or coming randomly from either side. Now that I have tightened up the brakes and steering wheel, I'm noticing it once again. Not as strong as before, but definitely a pull from the right side, especially when breaking from higher speeds.
And by the way, I flushed the brakes and adjusted the tightening screw, I didn't pop open the drums.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some suggestions on where to look starting with the easy and cheap item's and working our way up:
(Some of these may sound dumb but dumb is not seeing the forest because of the trees!!!

1- Are tire pressures equal?

2-Are treads the same design and condition?

3-Is wheel bearing play the same on both sides front and then again on both sides rear?

4-Is the brake shoe contact area with the drum equal on the two fronts?

5-Is the brake shoe contact area with the drum equal on the two rears?

6-Are all brake shoes same thickness and same composition?

7-Are any of the shoe or drum surfaces contaminated with anything?

8-Is steering pivot slop the same on both sides?

9-Is tie rod slop the same on both sides?

10-Are the spring rates and height the same side to side?

11-Have you had a front end shop check the caster, camber and toe on all 4 wheels?

That should keep you pretty busy and we shouldn't hear from you until you can print all 11 of your answers unless you have a question about an individual item.

Lets try to keep this in this same post all the way to a final resolution!
Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do the pad to Drum adjustment... one side is too loose or the other side is too tight...

M-38 Specs are 0.005 at the bottom of the pad and 0.008 at the top of the pad... I just did mine and all is well... Finally

I know you have an M-38A1 but there is a similar adjustment in the TM for yur jeep... you need to do as Wes says and READ THE BOOK...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has IH Scout 11" brakes which he adjusted shoe to drum clearance on yesterday. They are quite different. Let's not shotgun troubleshoot this one. Let's let Dan run the checklist I gave him in the given order and get back to us.

Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, turned out to be easier than I thought. I checked tire pressure and steering linkage, sprayed down the brakes with brake cleaner. The steering I had adjusted a little too stiff, and I loosened that up slightly. I was about to pull the wheels and check the pads, when the guy who sold me the brakes got back to me and said they were self adjusting. Then I read that the way the brakes self adjust is you back up and brake hard. I did that a few times, and no more pulling problems.
www.danhenk.com
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! In glad to see that you found a solution.

M38 CDN
52-30718
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: