Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Need help understanding end play on rear axles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help understanding end play on rear axles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
32sbct

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Need help understanding end play on rear axles Reply with quote

I am just about to finish up my M38 rear axle service. I have read up on how to measure and adjust end play on the rear axles but I really don't understand it. First, I don't have a dial indicator or access to one and I hate buying a tool I won't be using very often. TM9-8012 states that end play should be just perceptible. I don't feel any at all. I was careful to keep the existing shims together for each side when I took everything apart and put them back the same way. So my questions are?

What exactly is end play and why is it important?

How does adding shims increase end play? I don't see what changes by adding or subtracting shims between the axle housing flange and the bearing retainer.

What problems would I have with zero endplay since I can't feel anything move when I pull on the hub/drum?

I really want to understand this. Thanks for helping to educate me.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End play is the difference in length between the rotating parts (axles, bearing cones) and the fixed parts (axle housing, bearing cups). Zero or negative end play would mean that the rotating parts would be squeezed between the two bearing retainers; positive end play means there is a little clearance, or "slop", side-to-side. The two axles ends touch each other where they meet in the differential carrier, so the carrier itself doesn't come into the equation. This also means you can check end play only with both axles installed, not each side separately.

Adding shims is the equivalent of making the axle housing longer, increasing the difference in length between rotating and fixed parts. From an end play standpoint, it doesn't make any difference which side the shims are on.

Here's a crude analogy: the axles are a door, and the axle housing is a door frame. End play is the clearance around the door that keeps it from binding in the frame. Adding shims makes the opening in the frame bigger.

I couldn't go by feel, either, so I used my dial indicator. There was enough "sticktion" in the system that I had to tap lightly on the axle ends to get them to shift to make the measurement. Do you have a dial (or digital) calipers? Feeler gauges? I think you could rig up something to allow you to use either of those. What you would do is tap the axles to, say, the left, establish a reference of the left axle end, then tap them to the right and measure how far they moved. If you already have drums on, you might be able to make the measurement between the edge of the drum and the backing plate.
32sbct

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, thanks for for reply and a great explanation! I do have digital calipers, I think I will be able to figure this out now. I did not realize you need to have both sides completed to check the end play. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: