Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft
Anybody need an MB project?
Speaking of pilot M38s

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - need help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: need help Reply with quote

hey guys,
i have a few questions my restoration is at a stand still.
i have 53 m38a1 with a civvy block and i am trying to convert it to military i do have a correct military block(locked up) to rob parts from.
1) where exactly does the oil line from the military junior filter go on the side of the head i need a pic the book does not have a good pic.

2) i need a pic of where all of the braided ground wires go.

3)what are the lines on the back of the block oil perhaps?

4) what is the fitting for on the drivers side of the block (lower center of block)?

5) on the brake switch at the master cylinder is supposed to have some sort of connector to hold the wire in place it does not want to stay on i think i need a pic.

6) can i build a spider harness if i have a douglass connector kit or do i need something special for this application or should i just purchase one or is there a way to rig one that will suffice until i can get funds to do otherwise?

7) is there a way to install a military dip stick in a civvy block ? does the bushing come out with out having to tear the engine down?

Cool i removed the fuel pump from the military block to install it on the civvy block and i noticed that it did not have the spacer that i keep hearing about . i did also notice that the pump lever that goes inside the block looks like the tip of it may be broken off but i am not sure i dont really know what it is supposed to look like. i probably need a pic.

9) i need a pic of how the oil and temp sending units connect to the wires.

i am sorry that i am so long winded and that this is such a tall order but i am really excited(giddy like a school girl) i am on the final push. i have been buying parts a little at a time for 6 years and steadily pecking away for about two years. so close but yet so far away.

thanks so much Dylan Jackson

1953 m38a1
maeserik

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the Photo Gallery on this webside, CactiKen has also a nice restoration side, and finished M38

also :

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=105
http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56989&sid=d860bb787e822f5883be3a1219165902
http://www.geocities.com/kls235/
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/m38pages/m38photoindex.htm
http://www.flmvpa.org/articles/armymotors_gill.htm

or do google searches for willys M38, you woll find a lot of pics from unrestored M38's

and a search on this forum

a few hours on the internet and you will get a lot of useful information

succes !
Erik
1957 fantastic wife

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1865

and this webside
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the illustrations are right there in your manuals. Once you've spent several hours in the manuals you will be able to recall where you have seen items.

Quote:
1) where exactly does the oil line from the military junior filter go on the side of the head i need a pic the book does not have a good pic.
1-Look at TM 9-8014 page 8 The lower center hose goes down next to the two carb tubes and into the timing cover. The side hose goes across the front of the block above the serial number and down the left side to a fitting in the block next to the fuel pump. The hose can also be seen in Fig 42 pg 108, fig 46 pg 112, fig 47 pg 114, fig 49 pg 118, fig 50 pg 119, fig 55 pg 127, and fig 60 pg 137.
2) i need a pic of where all of the braided ground wires go.
What braided cables? There is only one at the right front engine mount unless you are referring to the 4 mount grounds for the voltage regulator frame.
3)what are the lines on the back of the block oil perhaps?
Again just open TM 9-8014 to fig 53 pg 125. Lower is oil pressure line from fitting on left rear side of block to the oil pressure transmitter on the right side aft of the distributor. The upper line is the vacuum line from the wiper "T" on the left of the engine to the distributor housing.
4) what is the fitting for on the drivers side of the block (lower center of block)?
If you are referring to the left side of the block at the rear about the same height as the oil pump that is the oil pressure tap for the transmitter line covered in item 3. It can be seen in Fig 52 pg 124 at the rear edge of the block the lower is the one to the oil pressure transmitter and the upper is for that line that brings oil to the head for the rockers.
5) on the brake switch at the master cylinder is supposed to have some sort of connector to hold the wire in place it does not want to stay on i think i need a pic.
Sounds like you have a civilian style switch with the push on connectors. The military switch has a metal Douglass connector. It's illustrated in your TM 9-8015-2 Fig 38 pg 73.
6) can i build a spider harness if i have a douglass connector kit or do i need something special for this application or should i just purchase one or is there a way to rig one that will suffice until i can get funds to do otherwise?
You could but the spiders are not very expensive. You can opt for the heavy truck spider which is cheaper and easier to find and has an extra wire if you ahould need one later. See Fig 114 Pg 218.
7) is there a way to install a military dip stick in a civvy block ? does the bushing come out with out having to tear the engine down?
What bushing? Are you perhaps referring to the dipstick tube? The civvy stick should work just fine.

As you can see you will need to get more familiar with your manuals. Only way is to read and thumb through them often.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
dylan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both very much for your replies. i currently only have a tm 9-8014. i will have to invest in more manuals. which would you get first the 9-8012 or the 9-8015-2.

thanks again dylan

1953 m38a1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that typo. 8012 was actually 8014 which you already have and if you have looked up the pages and figures I have listed you should by now have solved all your issues.

The TN 9-8014 is only the basic user's operating and maintenance manual. The Ordinance maintenance manuals TM 9-8015-1 for the engine, clutch and accessories and the TM 9-8015-2 for Running gear and chassis/body are a very important pair to have.

Also the Army tended to avoid overhaul and repair of components in it's basic manual sets so they have TM 9-1825B for Auto-Lite electrical components, TM 9-1826A for Carter Carbs and TM 9-1828A for Fuel Pumps and several more yet.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dylan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you once again. i have had time to study a little today with your notes.
things are a little more clear. first i was some how confused on what a spider harness is i thought that it was a harness that went to the head lights i am not sure where i came up with that idea. is there some sort of separate harness for the head lights? as for the tm-8014 i have looked at the pictures a hundred times but the biggest dilemma was following the lines from one side of the engine to the other and being absolutely positive that i followed them correctly. thanks for shedding a little light i feel a little more confident now. the braided ground wire question i knew about the one by the motor mount but i found one on the other motor that i have and thought that there might be more that i was not aware of. the dip stick tube i was just curious if there was a way to put the military one on there to make it look as close as i could get to original. just a little ashamed of my civvy block lol.

thanks again,

dylan

1953 m38a1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the military tube will bolt right up. You should use the dipstick that came with the tube.

dylan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, dylan

1953 m38a1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: