Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft
Anybody need an MB project?
Speaking of pilot M38s

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 valve cover studs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 valve cover studs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kd4kgx

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: M38A1 valve cover studs Reply with quote

I have a 1964 Kaiser-Jeep M38A1, USMC model. I broke one of the valve cover studs and am having difficulty finding a replacement or matching my stud to the specs in the 1956-era ORD 9 SNL G-758. The manual gives this spec: STUD, hex, spec, S, 5/16-24NF-3 (1/2) 5/16-24NF-3 (13/32) x 2. However, when I put a 5/16-24NF die on the stud, the die is a fraction too small and actually cuts into the threads. Do the late model M38A1 engines have a different size stud? If so, what is it, and does anyone know a source?

Thanks for any help!

MCS
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1962 USMC M38A1. I will check mine and post the information. There are many little details on my jeep I have found that are different from the earlier M38A1's. This might be another one.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your die a quality US made die? Is it a split die or solid die?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
kd4kgx

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The dies belong to a mechanic friend and I don't recall the brand name, but assume they are quality. At any rate, they are definitely split--would that make a difference?

If I can find a plain bolt of the same size and thread count I'm going to try to thread it into the head and see if it works. That should tell me something.
BullRun

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I looked at a 1952 and 1962 M38A1 and the parts appear identical.

The quick answer is that they are the same and also match the listings in the 1956 parts manual.

The long answer is I had the same thing happen to me when I ran a die over the threads with the metal dust and small shavings coming off. I used a solid professional quality die 5/16-24 NF as required for a 5/16-24 NF stud.

So here are 3 ideas as to what is going on here.

1) After decades of heating and cooling cycles the metal has on a microscopic level "creeped" or expanded outward slightly from it original dimension.

2) Or, the modern tools we have used have a tighter tolerance than the original parts. For instance if the stud had a product variation of + or - .010 to spec. and the modern die has a tolerance of + or - .005 to spec. the shavings are the .005 difference.

3) Different production runs with different out of spec. tolerances similar to #2.

Also, rust, grease and dirt can cause a die to wobble making a clean cut more difficult.

One more thing while listed as a plain nut both of the parts on each jeep had what appear to be ferrules pressed into each side I guess to prevent stripping the threads. And strangely the nuts while appearing identical would not interchange making me think that expansion and contraction has made them (nut and stud) a matched set of parts over time making replacement parts not fit together easily.

I am sure someone has a NOS or replacement stud and nut to fix the problem.
kd4kgx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BR. I found some 2-inch 5/16-24NS bolts at the local Tractor Supply store and they fit the threads in my cylinder head just fine. I think you're correct, it's either that the tolerance of the old bolts is different than the modern dies, or else the bolts have expanded over the years. Maybe both. I appreciate the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: