Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: C-375/VRC Interphone Control Box
wrong pic shown in radio installation manual pages?
WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering wheel splines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering wheel splines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel splines Reply with quote

Are the splines on shaft to the steering wheel center tapered or straight cut? I can not get that sucker off. I had a bearing puller set up on it and thought I was going to break the puller before I decided to let off. It even made an impression on the back of the steering wheel it was pulling so hard. This was about 2 months ago in my prep to take off the tub. I eventually just unbolted the box from the frame and took it off with the wheel. I am now to the point of messing with the steering assembly and want the wheel off.

Also is it possible to take off the outer tube after you remove the guts from the box and pull the shaft from the box. Will the tube clear the worm gear section?
ocwd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel Puller Reply with quote

I've seen this discussion on several message boards. Somewhere there is a design for a puller made from oak and all-thread. I did not take my steering wheel off as my steering box is in great shape. But, I've read that patience is the key. Leave the nut on loosely and put the wheel in tension with your puller. Use some penetrating oil and let it sit in tension. Give the puller a little tighten every day and add a couple drops of oil. Maybe someone with some actual experience can chime in on this one.

Dave
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I even let it sit with tons of tension a few days. It went no where. I know patience is key. Everything always works out it the end.
Balvar24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had like a 1-5/8" wrench laying around from a random auction. I put it between the puller jaws and the wheel. I used a regular 2-jaw puller to remove the wheel. I made sure to put a block between the steering shaft and puller ram so not to swage the hollow shaft. The block had a hole to keep the tapered head of the puller ram on target. Cranked the heck out of the pullers and then smacked the 1-5/8" wrench with a hammer. Pullers, block and wrench fell into the floor board. But, the steering wheel had been broken free and pulled of the shaft by hand.

If you fish around here long enough, you'll find a picture of the military tool used. It wouldn't be too hard to rig a similar fixture.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like pulling any old steering wheel from an old vehicle (pre 1960) you use the correct puller, a lot of tension, a large brass or dead blow hammer and wack it.

I soak it first with PB Blaster, Mouse Milk or Kroil for a couple of days. Then install the puller and tension it up. Then using the brass or dead blow hammer wack it right on the puller threaded rod.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: