Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: C-375/VRC Interphone Control Box
wrong pic shown in radio installation manual pages?
WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering knuckle shims
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering knuckle shims
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine, I think I was using a Universal Jeep Manual. And set the the shims for around 8lbs at movement. That was before I learned there were forums for restoring military jeeps.
It steers very good. The only play is in the steering cam.
mckim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I removed all the shims, and the pull force is only 8.3 lbs, identical on both sides. This is clearly within the original spec of 6-9, but not the revised spec of 12-16. To get that, I'd need to put in those circular valve shims.

Something just seems odd here, as I'd expect to have at least some shims on the top. The fact that both sides are identical also is interesting, considering the castings are different left and right. I've confirmed the (new) bearings are correct.

Also, changes to specs always intrigue me. Dad (RimfireJim) and I thought it through last night, and we figured out that increasing the preload makes it less likely the top cone will lift out of the cup (and then slam back into it) if the wheel hits a hard bump. So, the higher spec would seem more desirable, but I'm wondering how likely that situation would be.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you look at the source of thge two specs you should understand why the higher spec is more likely the correct spec to use. The lower spec comes from a military manual that went out od publication in 55 and the higher spec comes from the cilvilian manual which was revised thru 1965. don't forget that the civilian spec also allows the use of washers to help with meet the high spec. The steeringt and suspension
had no significant changes withy the M38, 3A and 3B and it is obvious the factory and it's dealer service network had a lot of experience to fall back on when revicing their manual for the next 10 years.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: