Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: C-375/VRC Interphone Control Box
wrong pic shown in radio installation manual pages?
WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Steering column position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering column position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Steering column position Reply with quote

Basically, the M38 is derived from CJ3A with a few modifications, and one of them is that the position of the steering column with respect to the dash panel is different ... in M38 is higher.
What is the reason?
In a CJ3A may be placed as an M38 with no problems?
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CJ3A has a different bracket on the dash that clamps the column. I have both Jeeps and noticed that too. The Ross box has elongated holes for piviting adjustment. Maybe they wanted more driver to steering wheel clearance in the M38? Good question. John
JAM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it obviously has a different bracket, since the column is higher. (The need would make the member is in biology, and not vice versa) Very Happy
The cleft in "V" which houses the column in the M38, maybe it was the space where he spent the linkage lever gearbox on the CJ2A they had this system, and never subsequently changed to 3A, for I believe that what was done to accommodate the steering column ...
Could this new position of the steering column, says John, to the driver more space ... but, how is the steering wheel away from the windshield?
Be closer than in the 3A?
evanso1975

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just compared what I understand to be an old CJ3A fuel tank with my original M38 one. My M38 fuel tank (complete with leaks Mad ) is about 1-1/2" taller (increased capacity, or just to take account of the displacement caused by the M38's in-tank fuel filter??), so I guess that's why the steering column is fitted higher up at the dash fixing point.

That's my theory, anyhow.......

Wbr,
Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
JAM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it might be an acceptable theory, if the driver's seat of M38 was also higher than that of 3A, but I understand they are equal in height, because if it does not justify lifting the steering column ..., or am wrong?
I need to know this because I am making as exemplified seats seats 3A, only varying the position of the right leg in the driver's seat.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock 3A driver's seat frame legs are shorter than the M38's. If you try to use a CJ3A driver's seat above the M38 gas tank in a M38 it will not be high enough. The M38 seat legs are taller than the CJ3A seat legs for that reason and the steering column went to the higher position by using a shallower bracket for that reason.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JAM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an innocent question about the steering column, a problem with the driver's seat. Shocked
A leap interesting. Very Happy

Thanks for trying to clarify my doubt, but now I'm as confused as an octopus in a garage. Mr. Green

In principle the answer I hope they give me, supported on the experience you have on the subject, but the information I have from a manufacturer of parts, disagrees:

This information indicates that CJ3A seats and M38 are compatible for both vehicles ..., I referred to their main dimensions, and not their execution, in that aspect because I know they are different.

If you mention the difference lies in the height of the M38 gas tank, may be to increase clearance from the top of the tank to lower pan, but not due to dimensional interference?

But definitely try to resolve the doubt:
One can measure the distance "A" in the seat of the M38?

In a reproduction of MD Juan, for CJ3A, the distance "A" is approximately
10 ½ "

Thank you for your interest. Jose Angel
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an add for a supplier of jeep parts. The ad simply says his seat is available for all three models. He is not the seat manufacturer and will obviously send you the correct seat for the model jeep you specify. Never rely on a jeep parts dealer's catalog to be as accurate as a manufacturer's illustrated parts list.

The CJ2A, CJ3A and M38 driver seats are quite different from each other. The CJ3A and M38 seats have a backrest that is tilted much further aft then the 2A seat because the wheel house on the CJ3A and M38 are shorter length then the 2A to allow this. Therefore the 2A seat can fit in a 3A but the seat back will need an extension so it can be supported by the wheel house which is further aft in the 3A. The 2A and 3A seats will not fit the M38 due to tank height and right front leg placement. The M38 seat can be placed in the 3A but will need the right front leg replaced with a 3A leg and the top of the bottom seat cushion will be closer to the bottom of the steering wheel resulting in less belly space.

M38 driver's seat

CJ3A driver's seat

CJ2A driver's seat

The reason for the difference in seat back angles and set back between the CJ2A and the CJ3A/M38 are obvious in the illustrations below.

CJ2A

The 2A seat will fit into the space available in the 3A/M38 but the 3A seat will not fit in the space available in the 2A. Neither the 2A or 3A seat right front leg will work in the M38. The M38 can be made to work in the CJ3A but not in the CJ2A.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Kendall

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose,
I measured "A" on your diagram on the front seat of my M38 and it measures approximately 11 3/4".
Kendall
JAM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, now it is already clear, I see that the part number are different:
(3A1811) for CJ3A
((C1811-N) for the M38.
This driver's seat, but I wonder who has the same part number for the passenger seat (3A1812) would mean that at different heights?, I see no logical.

Kendall, thank you very much by the length
JAM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAM wrote:
would mean that at different heights?, I see no logical.

I myself think I can answer.
I saw many pictures of restorations in the album of the forum, and most of them are the seats of different heights, the lowest passenger seat.
this is right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: