Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: C-375/VRC Interphone Control Box
wrong pic shown in radio installation manual pages?
WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Help with a confusing situation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with a confusing situation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bison

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Help with a confusing situation Reply with quote

I have a 1955 jeep in process of restore , I started getting suspicious when I found the OD green paint on the base layer. I then started looking at the vin and it says it had a v6 it obviously has the f head 4 . And it says its a right drive by vin . Ended up having it inspected by highway patrol (happen to be a jeep fan) the title said made in 1956 he went over it with great care . Conclusion after tracking title back to 1965 is that this is the vehicale it was a m318a1 but had dash changed the real question is has any one ever heard of willys making a mistake on the vin? Inspector stated motor was original to jeep and that the only modifications were the conversion to 12volt and the horied shag carpet along with it had been in an accident causing a new ps kick pannel to be welded in (no hole like the m38a1.) If anyone has pics of the daah and lights I would like to return it to a M38A1 any help is welcome.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer all your questions.

First I need a little more information:

1-What is the VIN you are referring to? Where is it found on the jeep? I need the full VIN.

2-What is the engine's serial number from the small flat above the water pump?

3-If you have the original M38A1 dash data plates what is the serial number and date of delivery from the lower right plate?

4-What is the model/serial number on the Willys Patent plate on the front vertical surface of the right rear wheel house?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bison

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any other number then the plate on the front ds fire wall I have one part of the vin the last part 26487 I will look for the motor number I will get the rest of the number from the vin and get you the number from the motor ( we think this jeep may have been borrowed from FE Waren back in the 50s but it looks legal ? Even to the inspector but the vin mismatch with data is confusing us ) we are 90 percent sure it is military we think some where in the 60s someone changed the vin title history has been checked back to 1965 it has been in the same state all its life till now [img]can't figure out how to put pics up I will try to add to my profile (note the OD green ) [/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to your photo album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album82&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

You can load the photos in your album then to show a photo here you use the [Img} goodies and copy and paste the URL of your photo between them.

While you get the rest of the numbers let's start with the frame ID.

Yhe first 2 feet of both front frame rails are boxed in on the M38A1 and are open on the CJ5.

See the square plate on the center of the crossmember that is under the front edge of the rear floor. It is a machine gun mount reinforcement and is on the M38A1 frame but not the CJ5 frame.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can post pics it would help id the Jeep. Vin tags really don't mean much, they are held on by removable screws or rivits. If there is a vin tag on the firewall, that is a civilian Jeep feature. Here's a site that has good pics of M38A1 variants plus pics of a early CJ5 - might help id your Jeep. There are lots of photos in the "Gallery" section of this website.
http://www.m38a1.com/
53a1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIN is just about a joke on an old jeep especially a military jeep. Mine was release from service in the 60's and shows it as a 68 on the title. Luckily it still had a title and the VIN number on the title was the original MD number. All my plates were missing otherwise.
Balvar24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to have the state issue a VIN for mine.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pointed out the difference between a Manufacturer's serial number and a VIN number in the past. The Willys built jeeps BOTH MILITARY & CIVILIAN thru 1970 did not have VIN's. They had the good old fashion manufacturer's serial number only.

The VIN was legislated by the federal government to be required on all US manufactured vehicles starting in the 70's. Ir is a long combination of numbers and letters that ID the manufacturer, the model, the engine, the place built and finally includes the manufacturer's serial number at the end of this long group.

So let's try to keep with period the jeeps were built and we can all be on the same page talking about SERIAL NUMBERS Wink

The manufactorer's serial number for a M38A1 is MD XXXXX (MD = model & XXXXX = serial sequence)

The manufactorer's serial number for a M170 is MD-A XXXXX (MD-A = model & XXXXX = serial sequence)

The manufacturer's serial number for the M38 is MC XXXXX (MC = model & XXXXX - serial sequence.

The manufacturer's serial number for a 55 thru 62 CJ5 is 57548 XXXXX ( 57548 - model and the XXXXX = serial sequence.)

The manufacturer's serial number for a 62 thru 67 CJ5 is 8305 XXXXXX (8305 = model & XXXXXX = serial sequence)

Bison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok First I don't mean to offend anyone I am just tring to figure out what I have , My mistake it is the serial number tag but it appears it has been changed because it says it should have a v-6 and right drive and i can tell you its not a right drive and the motor is a factory 4 . how ever someone asked for the casting number off the block #4J104802 The full Vin is (serial nimber ) 005754826487 ( but i dont think this to be right we have tracked this number back to 1965 ) as far as the frame it appears to have the heavy frame for mounting it also has the pto winch i will try to post pictures soon . I am just tring to figure out what I have to restore it to the right condition Rolling Eyes
Bison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got the pictures posted finaly ! I am starting to think its a CJ-5 with long box
Bison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and if anyone has used parts im interested ( already poseted in parts ) just adding the note because it looks like I have a CJ-5 1955 . also dose anyone have pictures of the 55 cj that willy's made into a fire truck it shows one made in 55 and 56 ( i was a fire fighter for 18 years and may look at doing it as a reproduction of that model )
12Bravo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bison wrote:
Ok I got the pictures posted finaly ! I am starting to think its a CJ-5 with long box

Measure the length of the wheel base. If it is 101 inches then and a civilian jeep then its most likely a CJ6 (which was based off the M170 ambulance)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That serial number 57548 26487 is a fall/winter 1955 CJ5 regular wheel base 81". The basic dimensions are the same as the M38A1.

The single 1955 fire engine CJ5 was 57048-02 10001

The plain chassis only CJ5 in 1955 was 57648 10001 thru 10010 (10 produced)

The 101" wheel base CJ6 did not come out till 1956 57748 10001 thru 12224
The plain chassis only CJ6 in 1956 was 57848 10001 ans 10002

So you most likely have a CJ5. The V6 Dauntless engine wasn't introduced until 1966 and last used in 1971.

The jeep would be nice stock with a F134 but that 225 V6 gives you 3 times the performance.

The 4J104802 is the serial number for a civilian F134. The casting number is down on the lower right side of the block

The jeep is definately a 55 CJ5. Heater in left side of firewall, unboxed frame, tailgate, battery box cover spot welded on, no large recessed holes for tail lights, stock CJ5 dash and roung gauge cluster, stock CJ5 firewall ID plate, CJ5 grill, small CJ5 gas filler port on tub, stock CJ5 civvy top bow sockets, Absolutely a CJ5. A nice project too. I have a 60 CJ5 4 banger and a 71 CJ5 V6 setrup.

The CJ5 continued using the snorkle port in the hood, the spot welded battery box lid and the indent for the slave receptacle on the right side of the cowl into the mid 1960's.

A great site to join for that project is: http://www.earlycj5.com/

Last edited by wesk on Sun May 27, 2012 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bison

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info i think.i have.decided to make it a.jeep fire vehicale for.show.any ideas on what the fire jeep looked like would help
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cJ3B/Fire/FireIndex.html

That will get you started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: