Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Anybody need an MB project?
Speaking of pilot M38s
Willys M38 dash pannel clips
WTB Early M38 fuel gauge
Tires.....
DY-88 power cable, CX-2031
M 151 tire rims with original tires (1960) magnisum rims
Huge Military Vehicle Auction
16x5-inch Steel Wheels
45' Willys MB

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HodakaguyTom

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacho wrote:
Hi Hodakaguy,
Congratulation for your jeep, looks very very nice.
I am learning from yours photos, I have to make this kind of job too, please continue.
I saw in your post a spark plug adaptor. I have a m38a1 and i not sure if work good. I will appreciate the diferent opinions about this device.
COngratulations again and enjoy it.

Regards
Pacho

Thanks Mate, we are excited to be its new caretakers. If you are still running the original shielded ignition wires then yes you will need the same adapter for your A1. You can get the adapter here: https://www.kaiserwillys.com/products/new-timing-adapter-fits-50-64-m38-m38a1/

Hodakaguy
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark plug adapter or timing adapter?

Both are here (where everything is cheaper than KW):
https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/product/spark-plug-adapter-m-series/
https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/product/timing-light-adapter/

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

pacho

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
No, I want to know about the perfomance of spark plug adapter. I have a m38a1 and I am nos sure about this device

Thanks and regards
HodakaguyTom

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacho wrote:
Hi Ron,
No, I want to know about the perfomance of spark plug adapter. I have a m38a1 and I am nos sure about this device

Thanks and regards

Seems to be working great on our M38, I would think it should perform just as good on the A1.

Hodakaguy
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacho wrote:
Hi Ron,
No, I want to know about the perfomance of spark plug adapter. I have a m38a1 and I am nos sure about this device.

Hi Pacho,
Pretty sure they work as well on the M38A1 as the M38.
I'm not using them so I can offer no personal experience.
Did you search the forums for posts from actual users?

What I will say is that John at MidWestMilitary (MWM) and George at Army Jeep Parts (AJP) both sell them.
https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-3862-adapter-spark-plug-water-proof-m-series-jeep-19207-12302548.aspx
https://shop.midwestmilitary.com/product/spark-plug-adapter-m-series/

These two vendors are perhaps the most reliable and trustworthy sources of military jeep parts on the planet today --- the adapters are a good solution or they wouldn't be selling them.

There's also a different style spark plug adapter being sold by another of our venerable military jeep parts vendors, Brent Mullins Jeep Parts (BMJP) here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184543927424

I'd recommend picking up the phone and calling them to discuss, or with questions.
I believe you'll find all three very helpful.

Since nobody makes original military waterproof spark plugs and NOS prices (if you can find them) are HUGE, It looks like everybody will need adapters sooner or later.
I recall reading somewhere a few years ago when the shortage became apparent that MWM looked into having new plugs made and the cost versus demand was prohibitive.

Good luck!

--- Enzo Ferrari

HodakaguyTom

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mobile Hanger...

Picked up a used 7x14 Aluminum Alcom Stealth trailer to haul the Jeep. Interior is 84" high allowing us to drive the Jeep into the trailer and clear the Snorkel....perfect. Will be nice to have the Jeep protected from the elements when traveling.

Truck and trailer loaded with the Jeep inside.

Used the trailer to haul the Jeep to the first car show of the season, up to the Moses Lake WA car show. It was a great turn out and we got to talk to a lot of amazing people at the show, many who had driven M38's while in service.

Kiddo had a blast and wore his Korean War jacket and helmet to go along with the Jeep. I need to find him a correct set of pants, boots and shirt to make a whole outfit.

Hodakaguy
RonD2

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.*.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Mon May 27, 2024 7:07 am; edited 2 times in total
HodakaguyTom

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodakaguy

Last edited by HodakaguyTom on Tue May 28, 2024 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
HodakaguyTom

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo cable & hand throttle....

The speedometer quit shortly after we picked up the Jeep. The speedometer needle started jumping around right before it quit so I suspected the cable had snapped. With a NOS cable in hand it's time to swap it out.

Found the speedo cable snapped at the drive end connection on the transfer case.

NOS cable, before cleaning.

Gauge cluster removed and cable removed from back of speedo. There is a small washer that is re-used on the end of the cable at the speedo end. The cable pulls out from this end.

Lubricating the cable as it's slid into the housing.

Next up is swapping out the hand throttle to the correct unit. Our M38 had the later model (M38A1) skinny lever hand throttle installed, I'm swapping it out with a NOS M38 wide handle hand throttle that matches the handle on the fording valve.

As found Skinny lever installed.

Throttle removed and here you can see the difference between the two.

Adding some sticky back foam to the inside of the wiring tray behind the instrument panel. This should help eliminate rattles from the waterproof Douglass electrical connectors resting on the tray.

Buttoned back up with the new throttle in place.

Hodakaguy
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uniforms:

A lot of what was used in the Korean War was WWII surplus - uniforms and gear issued from inventory, just as we do today.

Suggestion on kit sources:
At The Front
What Price Glory
WW II Impressions

I've used all of these for living history uniform and gear impressions and events.
The first COA is to research who he wants to portray, the unit, if there's a specific individual, time period and then dig into the culture, current events of the period, and everything related.

Your jeep has unit markings so an obvious starting place would be that unit. Also, as you may already know and Wes has pointed out, M38s weren't used in the Korean War, at least not until the very end and then not in many numbers. So you would likely want to do a stateside or EUCOM impression.

These are all purely suggestions to help guide what you want to do. As someone noted, though, you're in front of the public and, in their eyes, become that person and period so become as knowledgeable as possible on the period and impression you're representing. Otherwise go in 21st Century civvies.

If you have questions I'm happy to answer any. Grab some of the history books on the Korean War and the period before/after, especially any picture books to aid in your research and display.

Have fun and always look for ways to improve. Your jeep clearly shows your attention to detail. It's a beautiful ride! Smile
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber

Last edited by whydahdvr on Wed May 29, 2024 9:31 am; edited 3 times in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M38 served in Korea for the last half of the declared war but in a limited capacity since the supply system had not yet caught up to the M38 production. The M38A1 just barely made an entry into the Korean war at the last few months and then only in very limited numbers and usually only at main bases and HQ units. However when the armistice was signed the M38A1 virtually completely took over the Army's needs in Korea in a very short time.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
The M38 served in Korea for the last half of the declared war but in a limited capacity since the supply system had not yet caught up to the M38 production. The M38A1 just barely made an entry into the Korean war at the last few months and then only in very limited numbers and usually only at main bases and HQ units. However when the armistice was signed the M38A1 virtually completely took over the Army's needs in Korea in a very short time.

Don't know if true or not, but I've read posts suggesting one of the main reasons the M38 and M38A1 never saw much time in the Korean War was the logistics problems associated with them being among the first 24V trucks in the Army. Few trained mechanics with spare parts.
Another main reason was that during the war, the Army already had all the MB-GPW jeeps they needed (with trained mechanics and spare parts) fresh from rebuild depots close by in Japan.

"declared war"?
Pretty sure the U.S. Congress never declared war on North Korea.
And the "armistice" was a purely military document signed by representatives of the United Nations (not the United States).
Both instances setting precedent for gross perversion of the U.S. Constitution by politicians.
Vietnam a short 10 years later as an example.

--- Enzo Ferrari

RonD2

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whydahdvr wrote:
Your jeep has unit markings so an obvious staring place would be that unit.

Jeep is marked for Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 355th Infantry Regiment, 89th Infantry Division.
According to the Army, the 355th Infantry Regiment was an Army Reserve unit based in Nebraska during the Korean War.

Info here: https://history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lineages/branches/regt/0355rgt.htm

--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed political info on my post. I think it is much easier for readers to hear the same terms the encyclopedia uses, Korean War and Armistice rather than police action and cease hostilities documents. Let's try to keep these conversation simple and leave the political remarks for the super heated political discussion boards which allowed members to scream and hollar at each other!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonD2 wrote:
Jeep is marked for Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 355th Infantry Regiment, 89th Infantry Division.

My apology.
Should be Able Company not Alpha Company --- during M38 production and the Korean War.
The change to the NATO phonetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, etc instead of Able, Baker, etc) didn't happen until early 1956.

--- Enzo Ferrari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: