Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - First Project and new member
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Project and new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cju777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: First Project and new member Reply with quote

Wes invited me over from the G503 forum, been surfing around and thanks for providing all the great info. I hope to have some to offer down the line. Reposting this over from the "g"

Just ordered this Jeep from John at Midwest and should have it soon to start work on. Date of delivery, 3/55. Serial number 82542.

Just wondering your thoughts on starting off a frame off restore on this. Thanks! Looking forward to my first project and getting my hands dirty.

Body looks good, only major areas of rust I know of are by the passanger footwell and the battery box

Engine is complete and original I believe? Carb included when I get it

B/4-10 CAV, 4 ID
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new jeep... Very Happy

My suggestions are go out and buy a couple of boxes of ziplock baggies freezer type in all sizes (2 gallon, quart and sandwich)... a box of sharpie pens and some blank 3X5 cards... all of this can be found at Sam's if you are a member, BTW get the Ziplock bags not a cheaper alternative, you want these to hold up for years ... that is how long it could take to do your restoration... Confused

Next if you don't have one a digital camera, you will need to take photos of everything, before and after... Don't know how many times I took a part off and forgot how it went back on properly... Confused the big thing is document everything... I would recommend a container of CD ROM disks and store your photos there in addition to the computer in the event of a crash... Sad you will always have the pictures... Smile

As you do your tear down put the parts for an assembly in a bag, tag it and set it aside in a box or something... now you know where all the parts are for that assembly...

I even put the nuts, bolts and wahers in the bag... especially the broken ones; now when it comes time to reassemble I know what parts and bolts go with what... and what hardware I need to get from the local ACE store; they carry hardware that can be used to replace most used on these jeeps without having to buy boxes of 100, I can go in and purchase one nut, bolt or washer as neeed... Very Happy

Next order the CD rom from Military Media, this covers all the jeeps from the MB to the 151. I say this as it is a PDF file and using Adobe reader you can access it on your computer and print out pages to take to the garage and if they get damaged you can print a new copy. I love the ability to go into the SNL (parts manual) and search for a part number... saves lots of time trying to read the book although I did that also... Very Happy

If you do not have it; develop PATIENCE... Cool it takes time to restore one of these to even motor pool ready... I did mine on $140 a month and a little help from bonuses and tax returns... took me 4 years but was well worth the time... I did such a good job the wife let me get another one to do, this time I am doing a '51 Willys Wagon 2WD... enjoying that one also... Very Happy

I said all this not knowing your experience level, I do not mean to imply you are not knowledgeable, but you did ask for advice... Wink These are the things I learned as a newbie to the hobby and in tearing my M-38CDN down to the frame...

Enjoy and have fun that is what it is all about... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: