Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - please help with head bolts thread sealer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please help with head bolts thread sealer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktm25089

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: please help with head bolts thread sealer Reply with quote

hello,
i'm in proccess to do again my head gasket job.RIGHT this time.i'm wondering if i have to use thread sealing and what type to the head bolts.
in the f-head there is 15 bolts.except the under the carb,all the other are wet bolts.goes to the water jacket.
i will use a tap to clean the block threads and wire brush the bolts and a felpro headgasket.but have to use some type of sealer?
i've heard a lot of opinions.NO,permatex aviation,permatex high temp thread sealant.

please help,i want to do this for the last time.

thanks
George
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non hardening permatex thread sealant (No 1 I think) is the one to use.

Wes is the Guru on this one.

Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call me the Guru but I have always used Permatex #1 and never had any problems. As I advised you, George, in your earlier post on this topic on the g503 site you have several options and I believe I listed all of them there.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ktm25089

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a guy from the jeepforum told me the following,and he scared me.i'm a bit confused.

Permatex will collect out of the threads at the top of the block, and help hold your head away from your block, something you do NOT want is anything holding the head away from the block!
Permatex is WAY too thick when it stands up, and will effect your re-torque.Even if the Permatex doesn't lift the head off the block far enough to leak right away, it's still a 'Wedge' in between the head and deck!

wes,sorry for asking again,but i want to do this one last time.i buyed tap to clean the threads,felpro gasket and don't know what to do with the sealer.

thanks
George
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently that was the only Permatex user on these web sites to have problems with Permatex #1. Since so many of us have had no problem with Permatex #1 I will assume he used too much. A thin coat on the threads of the bolt or stud only is all you need. When you removed your head did you find puddles of sealant wedged between your head and the block around the bolt holes?

You should not use a tap to clean threads. A tap will remove metal from the threads each time it is used. Either clean the threads with the appropriate chemical recommended by the sealant manufacturer or use a thread chaser designed which is designed for cleaning of threads only.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use Permatex #1 and put it in the holes on the block. That way it is less likely to come out and wedge between the block and the head...

My dad always sealed the studs/bolts on his jeeps, never had a problem...

I would say the other fellow used way too much and let it sit too long...

Hope this helps...
artificer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used GM thread sealer...probably even better products now (Ludel suggests teflon thread sealant which comes in a container)....just what one is used to, I guess. The little sealer which will accumulate around the block, gasket and head after fitting up is a good thing and will help in sealing the top of the threads.
Just remember head, gasket and block must be perfectly clean when assembled.
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: