Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - early M38 questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

early M38 questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that the VIN had to be all numbers.
As newer vehicles have alpha AND numeric digits I need to follow up on that. The person helping me at the satelite location was uninterested in helping.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to use that same person the next visit. Better yet use a main office.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Balvar24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get in the line with the oldest person working it. If they look within 15-20 years of my age (30), I just usually just go to another line.
mckim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
The confusions presents itself when someone offers the first 24087 paint chip introduced with the new 595 spec book in 1953/54. The GSA folks screwed up and used the old 2430 chip in the new book under the 24087. A change notice was issued with a new replacement card for the set. Trouble is a lot of old FS595 spec books still have the first incorrect chip and card. This led many folks to think the two colors were almost alike.

Does this mean that if one has the old FS595 book (with the incorrect chip), then its 24087 could be used as an exact substitute for 2430 as long as the replacement card has not been used?

I'm working with a local paint shop to have paint made in the correct color, but in a modern paint type. They have a very large library of paint chips, including the OD flat 319 and 24087 from the federal paint identification manuals. He hasn't been able to find the 2430 chip.

I'm headed over this morning with couple of my parts with paint in areas not subject to fading to compare with those two chips.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have the very first original edition of the FS with the 5 digit numbering system and it was never updated then yes. If the book was updated then you won't be able to tell without comparing a separate sample 2430 to 24087.

If you order a can of Gillespie's 24087 and a can of Gillespie's late WWII OD 23070 and spray to pieces of steel with red oxide primer and then the two OD's you'll have no trouble telling one from the other. 24087 is much darker and very brown. 2430 which is darn near identical to Gillespie's 23070 and is lighter with more gray/green.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: