Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Tires.....
DY-88 power cable, CX-2031
M 151 tire rims with original tires (1960) magnisum rims
Huge Military Vehicle Auction
16x5-inch Steel Wheels
45' Willys MB
Wanted Navy M38
Well folks, I cheated...
Gilbert Pa/Redball rally mil radios for sale Sept 19-21
Ross steering box compatibility M38A1/M38

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Converting M38A1 to electric wipers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting M38A1 to electric wipers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hartspass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the electric wipers on my 1965 M38-A1 is my first project, it did not come with any wipers installed. Is there any specific diagrams for the seals or diagrams for installation?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you get is TM 9-8012 Page 99, 316 thru 320.

TM 8015-2 pages 243 thru 251

ORD 9 SNL G-758 pages 363 Figure 22-1 and pages 368 thru 372.

Do you have a stock M38A1 windshield? Does your windshield have the holes in already?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hartspass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is the correct windshield, it has on each side 3 holes, a larger middle hole measuring 3/4” for wiper shaft and 2 3/16” holes, one on each side.

The manuals I have are ORD 9 SNL G-758 and TM9-804 A, admittedly no electric wiper motor there. I’ll buy the others.

On the wiper shaft is it two shaft layers joined by a press fit? If so, Carl Walck mentioned using a fine tooth hacksaw to cut the outer shell. I’m trying to confirm before I slice and dice things.
RonD2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartspass wrote:
On the wiper shaft is it two shaft layers joined by a press fit? If so, Carl Walck mentioned using a fine tooth hacksaw to cut the outer shell. I’m trying to confirm before I slice and dice things.

Not exactly sure what you're doing or why, but you might consider using a tubing cutter on the outer shell instead of a hacksaw.

Good luck!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hartspass,

If you have the stock M38A1 windshield and the correct Vacuum wiper motor then you have nothing that needs to be cut! What part number wiper motor do you have? There was one used early in both M38 & M38A1 Trico PN 63527 and one introduced later as a supersedure for both Trico PN S583-1.

You can go to my photo album and review the wiper discriptions and parts list: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album67&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

You can go to our "Downloads" page and get your missing manuals. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=80

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Hartspass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesk my M38-A1 had no wipers mounted on the windsheild so I decided it was easier and safer to go with electric wipers since I live in Western Washington and it rains a lot here..I also have a Dauntless V-6 engine under the hood.

RonD2 I hadn’t thought of using a tube cutter instead of hacksaw. Carl in this video was suggesting using a fine tooth hacksaw to carefully cut with. https://youtu.be/kZQ7e698sBA?si=4G8x5GP9vHVGDkef.

My jeep is a recent purchase and I’ve got some things to do to it so I can drive it, such as wiring and installing the license frames, wiper motors, modifying the wheel wells and moving seat frame back since I’m tall. It’s been years since I’ve done this so I’ve been reorganizing my garage and collecting my tools together since the passing of my wife.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have split your posting and it's replies from the old 2010 post you had attached it to. Too easy to mix parts of the old post with the new post info. So now all replies will apply only to your original post.

The manuals I listed are still necessary for working on your jeep however none specifically cover an electric conversion.

I will suggest one more excellent manual for a person who desires to make modern improvements to his or her's antique /classic jeeps.

Moses Ludel's "Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual 1946-71. This manual contains many interesting upgrades for universal style jeeps of our year groups.

Hartspass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk thank you. I ordered the manual today and it comes tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: