Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft
Anybody need an MB project?
Speaking of pilot M38s
Willys M38 dash pannel clips
WTB Early M38 fuel gauge
Tires.....
DY-88 power cable, CX-2031
M 151 tire rims with original tires (1960) magnisum rims
Huge Military Vehicle Auction

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Well folks, I cheated...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Well folks, I cheated...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WRMorrison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Well folks, I cheated... Reply with quote

...and bought one already "finished."

***WARNING*** I’m long-winded. If you’d rather scroll through and look at the pics, that’s fine by me too.

We’re officially parade / car show people! I can’t wait to sling candy at strangers’ kids (as soon as I find out where I put the slingshot). Laughing

I’ve always wanted a MB/GPW, but the ones I’ve come across were always basket cases or out of reach financially. I've owned 2 or 3 CJ2A projects in the past that were "beyond economical repair" for me (at least at the time). I’d always get through the frame/drivetrain part before running out of funds for the body work.

Now that I'm "a bit" older and the youngest is off to college, I've had an itch to finally get that flatfender that I've always wanted. A friend of mine recently restored a '2A into a MB tribute. I asked him for a no-BS tally of what he had invested in it. He said that he had a little over $20K into it before paint not counting time/labor (including the cost of a complete body kit). I LOVE doing the research/work that goes into a restoration, but the end goal is to drive it. After talking to the wife, we decided that our best bet for now is to just buy one that's ready to enjoy. Maybe I’ll buy another project to work on while I drive this one (just don’t tell her).

I remembered a local, older gent (friend of mine) that had one. He's getting up in years and his health isn't the best. I remembered that he had a REALLY nice M38 (along with a better-than-new '57 T-bird, several tractors, etc). We struck up a convo and the rest is history.

Last Friday I brought home a 1952 M38; MC 60043, DOD 3/52 – still 24V. Also included was a later model (but in very good condition) M416 trailer. He also threw in a slough of spare parts, lots of documentation from over the years, tons of receipts and several totes full of MV mags. I’ve even found pictures of it in-service with the Civil Defense. He even said that there’s more in the attic, but I’ll have to wait for cooler weather.

This particular jeep was previously employed at a local AFB (exact one unknown at this time); there’re remnants of blue paint on the underside of the toolbox lid. I’m told that it was then purchased by the local fire department (who painted it red, of course) where they used it out at the lake as a runabout when lighting off the yearly 4th of July fireworks display. After a period of time, it was then handed over to the local Civil Defense. The head of the CD was the father of the guy I purchased it from (my friend was also a member of the CD and is still a member of the local EMA as am I). His father purchased it from the EMA, and then he bought it from his father in 1987. He (Army, Vietnam veteran) turned it into what you see here.

This wasn’t a radio jeep when it was bought by the FD (to my knowledge). The guy I bought it from is a long-time amateur operator (as am I) and he put the radios in it. I’m still researching what I have, but for those interested, I’ve figured out that I have an RT-70A transmitter, RT-110 receiver, AM-65 amplifier and PP-112 power supply. I’m told that it’s 6m wideband (± 15 kHz) FM. It looks like I need to source a mic, speaker and possibly an upgraded generator (not sure yet). I’m a general class operator, but I have zero experience with older radios (I currently use a Yaesu FTM-500 for VHF/UHF and a Yaesu FT-710 for HF).

I removed the PA system that he had installed for playing cadences, etc during parades. I also removed some temporarily-mounted turn signals and such. Our immediate plans are to drive and enjoy it, but I believe at some point I’ll be repainting the hood and other stencils. I’m not sure if I’ll throw some USMC markings on it (I’m a Marine) or return it to that unique USAF blue (have an uncle who was a “ditty bopper” in the Air Force after Korea and just before Vietnam got hot and heavy).

Congrats to those who made it this far; we sure are proud of her!

Last edited by WRMorrison on Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
WRMorrison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a few photos of when the city first acquired it. Anyone know what "TEST VEHICLE" below the passenger door opening and at the bottom of the hood might signify? What kind of test? The other pic is of when it was in service with the Civil Defense. I've since learned that there's LOTS of pics available of when it was in the CD; maybe others. I hope to eventually learn more details about where exactly it came from, etc.

-WRM

Last edited by WRMorrison on Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Walter,

Since you copied your post from the M38 group I'll just copy and post my reply to that post here:

Quote:
Wes Knettle Admin Group expert
As mentioned the towed generator set was used when remote standing Radio duty required power while jeep was parked. There are several Amry TB's that convert the basic 24V 25A system to 60A and 100A for radio jeeps. With that radio setup you have the jeep's electrical system would have been modified with one of those service kits. You should visit our www.willysmjeeps.com web site where we have a ton of manuals and many member's photo albums you can peruse for radio setups and etc. Here's one of the Signal Corp drawings that covers your setup which I believe is an AN/GRC 3 thru 8 setup:

Here's the 100 Amp conversion: Note: this was updated in 1958 to include the M38A1, M38A1C and M170 in TB 9-2300-206-15.
May be an illustration of ticket stub, blueprint and text that says 'NORMAL DEPARTMENT OF THE MWO ORD G740-W11 ARMY MODIFICATION WORK ORDER 14-TON UTILITY TRUCK M38 INSTALLATION OF AC-DC GENERATOR KIT Department of the Army, Washington November 1956 Category 1. Application. Maintenance. Field (3d echelon). Applied by. Ordnance mechanic and electrician. Time Required. Eight man-hours. d. Comments With Reference to Published Modification Orders. None. Remarks. This modification applies only to 1/4-ton utility trucks M38 equipped with any of the following designated radio Single installations or in combination radio AN/CRC-5 any other AN AN/GRC-39 AN/ (B) Combination installations. SCR-193 SCR-506 SCR-694C through through AN/GRR-5 AN/PRC-8, 619 through AN/GRR-5 SCR 610 2570B---Nov'

The Army also used a less complicated 60 amp 1 wire alternator conversion. I used it on my M37.

Here's the wiring of the alternator:

Here's the hookup on my M37:

Morrison Rich
Author
Thanks for all of the info! I joined willysmjeeps the other day, but haven't had much of a chance to browse yet. I'll definitely be looking into upgrading the charging system at some point.
1da day ago

Be sure to followup with posting here for any progress you make as you mix the pleasure of driving her with the pleasure of completing her restoration.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Lyle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please give me the part number to the cables that plug into the R-110?

I can make out “5995-243” but can’t see the rest.

Thanks, Lyle
Jeep Rubicon, 2015
M38 CDN, 1952
M416, 1968
WRMorrison

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle wrote:
Could you please give me the part number to the cables that plug into the R-110?

I can make out “5995-243” but can’t see the rest.

Thanks, Lyle

5595-243-4720 for two on the right; left is unmarked.

-WRM
Lyle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!!!!
Jeep Rubicon, 2015
M38 CDN, 1952
M416, 1968
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle, That is an old style FSN (Federal Stock Number). To convert it to a NSN (Nato Stock Number) just add a pair of 00's between the first 4 digits and the next 3 digits. You might get a few more hits on a google search that way.

5995-00-243-4720

The part numbers on those cable were usually eithe one derived by the manufacturer or the Army's MS00000-00 number.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
WRMorrison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the same part number is on the far right cable on the AM-65 amplifier.

-WRM
WRMorrison

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random photo dump for my reference:

Last edited by WRMorrison on Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter,

Please spend a few moments reviewing our web site's photo posting rules and suggestions:

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=498

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8670

Photos you wish to post should be no larger than 250K.

WRMorrison

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. I had seen one of those posts (regarding size/quantity with the gallery here) but not the other. I use larger monitors & higher resolution on my end and didn't think about the mega-size pictures as viewed elsewhere.

I'll work on keeping the file size down.

-WRM
Lyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!!!!
Jeep Rubicon, 2015
M38 CDN, 1952
M416, 1968
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMR you should probably start by reducing the photo sizes in this post to 250K. Our web site has reached it's photo listing capacity and the site manager has shut photo loading down.

WRMorrison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll work on that right now.

-WRM
WRMorrison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for all of the mega-size images folks; it wasn't intentional. There's a great wealth of info here, and I certainly didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot.

-WRM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: