Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 no start condition
Wanted: L-134 crankshaft
Looking for M38 seat cover pattern
Wanted: Browning M2 MK-23 Mount
Adjusting Tappits
Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Strange intermittant clutch problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange intermittant clutch problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Strange intermittant clutch problem Reply with quote

Ok I finished my m38a1 in may and its been running fine since.

Yesterday I started hearing a strange rubbing spinning noise sometimes when I push in the clutch. It has no regard to the position of the shifter, I thought it might be the throwout bearing even though its new.
Problem is, when I hear the rubbing noise, if I try to shift from nuetral to first or reverse, I can feel that the clucth is still spinning even though I have the pedal down far enough for adequate throw. I have stepped on the pedal for lengths of time and the noise has developed, but not gone away untill I let the clutch out.
Recap
1.Rubbing noise heard sometimes when clutch pedal is stepped on.
2. Its currently less than 20 perecent of the time.
3. When noise is heard shifting into gear feels like clutch is still spinning.

Some how I think that sometimes the clutch disk must not be releasing from the flywheel or more likely being held lighty to the flywheel. But its just so darn weird. Throwout bering and disc are new, but I dont remember about the pressure plate, I think its older, meaning I reused it and have no Idea how old it is.

I would think theres no reason the disc would stick to the flywheel since I drive the thing every coulple days.

Is it possible for the tabs on the pressure plate to fail and hold down the clutch disc even if they are depressed by the throwout bering. I know that I have plenty of throw on the bearing and that it is depressing the tabs plenty.

KI6EZA
1954 M38A1 (first civilain owner)
1965 M37B1 Commo shelter truck
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others here could shed more light than I could. I am not a mechanic by any means.

However, it sounds to me like it could be your pressure plate springs or your adjustment is off with the clutch not making enough contact to the flywheel?

Have you checked your clutch adjustment?

Just some thoughts until the experts drive by. Cool
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all the simple stuff first.

1-Have a buddy operate the clutch pedal while you lay underneath and closely examine all motion at pedal, cross shaft and cable/fork. Sometimes the cable ball can change it's position in its socket enough to change the travel just a tad.

2-With the engine running have the buddy operate the clutch while you have the floor panels off the bell's inspection plate off and get your ear right down there close and confirm exactly where the rubbing noise is coming from.

3-If the noise is really inside the bell then get a good light and look around inside. Confirm all linkages, arms and bearing move and turn freely and smoothly. With engine shut down have your buddy put the jeep in low gear and slowly push it while you inspect the full circumference of the pressure plate for even fingers, and no broken or loose springs or parts.

4-With the clutch pedal depressed and the tranny in neutral confirm the tranny input shaft doesn't have any lateral slop in both the pilot bearing/bushing and the tranny's front input bearing.

5-If the noise may be coming from the tranny put the transfer in neutral and with the tranny in each gear range and the engine running operate the clutch and if you get the noise try applying light pressure to the shifter in each direction it is capable of moving in. If the noise quits or reduces then you'll need to get into the tranny.

6-If nothing was determined from all the above you may have to seperate the engine and the bell.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RichJohnson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is getting worse, its happening about half the time.

I checked the linkage today before positing on the board, it all moves freely and has full travel.

From my deductions it is not the tranny shaft.
The noise happens from depressing the clucth only.

Im going to have to get the ispection pot open and run through the rest of your lis.t

KI6EZA
1954 M38A1 (first civilain owner)
1965 M37B1 Commo shelter truck
MBT
GRC-122 TTY rig
Renegade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above suggestions are all good. Also suggest checking the pilot bushing in the back of the crankshaft when you have engine separated from bell housing. Sometimes they are worn or they get damaged on re installation of the transmission.
DaveO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in here, but did you check that you have the 1 1/4" free travel required on the clutch pedal? Paragraph 191 in the -8014. You may not have enough throw to get the disc completely off the flywheel.
1953 M38A1
M116

RTFB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: