Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: C-375/VRC Interphone Control Box
wrong pic shown in radio installation manual pages?
WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Cleaning fuel pump and carb castings for rebuild
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning fuel pump and carb castings for rebuild
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
53a1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Cleaning fuel pump and carb castings for rebuild Reply with quote

I scored three M38 fuel pumps and a carb at a jeep yard sale. What's the proper way to get the castings pretty for rebuild?

Thanks.
Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty or functional or both?

1-Function-All access plugs and caps removed and all interior parts removed. Soak for at least 24 hours in carb cleaner. The submerged can system. Using the system diagrams in the TM 9-1828A (Fuel Pumps) & TM 9-1826A (Carter Carbs) clear every passageway.

2-Pretty-Electroplate housings.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
GPA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can expect good results if you put the carb body into an ultrasound cleaning machine.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the same fluid. The ultrasound will accelerate the cleaning. In one day you will have completed three days of soaking. But you will need access to a machine. Hot caustic commercial cleaning system do very good but again you must have access to the equipment.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
GPA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I see it, access to a machine is the problem. Small ultrasound machines are available for a reasonable price here. Check out the situation price wise Wes. Usually everything is cheaper in the U.S. but this machine could be the exception. If you do carbs and similar things often and need one, I can look around for a good deal and send you one. But there is the 220/110V difference.
Zoli
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer Zoli, but I have access to all the machinery I need. I do this for a living. It's the original poster who would need the equipment.

53a1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. What about silica blast? I took my pump appart this evening. It was pretty easy.
53a1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to seal the casting with paint or something if I were to silica blast it?

Thanks.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO-NO-NO! Fine dirt and dust is the most notorious enemy of passageways in the carb. I would never deliberately introduce any fine powder or dust to any carb. Use liquid solvents and dry compressed air or notrogen only.

53a1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. I will remove the linkage parts and do those only. The cast iron bottom part is rusted like most are and I wish I could do that part.

How about the fuel pump castings Wesk?

I have it appart and there are no small holes. Looking at the condition of the casting after cleaning I think a fine silica blast is the only thing that would work. I will only do the external surfaces so I don't bother the surfaces the check valves sit in.

Thanks.
David
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the hole is not the issue. The fine silt deposits end op coating the entire unit externally and internally. Compressed air will not remove them and liguid cleansers will cause a lot of it to migrate and collect at restrictions in those passageways. If you soak the body long enough in the correct solution it will emerge spotless. The gallon cans of Carb cleaner are available for about $14 and have a dip basket with them. Although this process is new to you many of us have been cleaning and rebuilding carbs since the 50's. It works when you do it right.

For the lower cast iron body simply use a strong rust remover like Naval Jelly.

As Zole mentions the Ultrasonic cleaner tanks finish the process in hours that normally takes several days worth of soaking.

53a1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wesk.

I'll try the carb cleaner but the guy at NAPA said the stuff they sell now is so weak you may as well use kerosene or gasolene and it costs 29.00 bucks for a gallon Shocked
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
29.00 bucks

That's because you are buying it from Napa. Try the economy stores, farmer stores and such. I get it at Farm & Fleet here in northern Wisconsin. And yes it is weaker than the original stuff. If you want a serious quick cleanup and don't want to invest in an Ultrasonic cleaner then go to your auto-machinist and have him hot caustic tank it for you.

Keith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rebuilt my M38 carb and fuel/vacuum pump and used Gunk carb cleaner (w/basket) from local parts store (~$20). Was happily surprised at how well it removed rust from bolts, linkages, hardware, etc - almost to original - after soaking for ~3-4 days. It also removed all other deposits with minimal scrubbing which I performed about once each day. Good luck.
GPA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used American made Gunk about 15 years ago and before and it was a good product, it did remove most of the deposits overnight from carbs to be overhauled. Then came the "new formula". We were told the old stuff was too strong, dangerous and not friendly to the enviro. Only problem was it did not work anymore. This is the reason for 3-4 days of soaking time. I am using a product here called Super-Kromofag. It is made for paint removal. We are not talking about days of soaking, not even hours, but minutes. Producer recommends 5 minutes, but 2-4 is enough (when liquid is fresh). It does remove everything, without damageing the surfaces. Its smells same as the old Gunk from memory, but my nose is not a german shephards'. Cleaned parts look like new. For copper or brass parts I am using another product made by a company specialized for making kitchen/bathroom cleaning products. Soaking time is about 2 minutes and gold/copper/brass becomes bright original color, if you leave it longer it turns a little darker. You guys should check some industrial or domestic cleaners not just those made for automotive use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: