Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Gear Oil Leak
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear Oil Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Gear Oil Leak Reply with quote

I took the jeep out for a ride this afternoon, about 20 minutes or so around town and got up to 40+ on some roads. About a block from home the spedometer stopped working. When I got home I noticed a gear oil leak, possibly from the transfer case or transmission.
Question: When the spedometer stops working is that likely due to the cable breaking or something else? I believe that the gear oil leak is related to the spedo cable issue but want to verify.
I haven't crawled under to take a look and had to leave on a business trip this afternoon so do not have access to my resources. Guidance? Thanks!
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet the cable became froze and broke causing damage to the cable housing which allowed fluid to leak.

Tranny fluid often leaks into the cable housing.

Just my guess. I would take the cable loose and check it out.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, I agree that sounds the most plausible. I'm going to take a look underneath. How hard are the spedo cables to replace or repair?
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a speedometer/guage shop. There is one around the corner from me. They can make new cables and lube them.
The M38 used a captive cabel - locked on both ends with a metal ring.

The cable housing is the hardest part - it is water proof and I don't know if it can be duplicated very easily or not.
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,
It sounds like the cable can be repaired but the housing probably needs to be replaced. I also spoke to Pete DeBella and learned that there were different lengths and sizes used so I'll need to match up what I have currently to get the correct part.
Anything else I should look for? I looked under the vehicle last night and it definitely looks to be come from the transfer case, but it's hard to tell exactly where. What else is likely to need to be replaced or repaired?
Thanks.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil from the tranny usually seeps slowly into the transfer, which is usually not a problem for the transfer, so don't be alarmed if you have way too much in the transfer and a little low on the tranny. Make sure the tranny stays were she needs to be on fluid levels.

The M38 used two different lengths on the cables and went to one that was slightly longer during the fall of 1951.

I would take the length of the one you have as your guide. You may check your seals and your speedo gear while you are down there.

Wes can surely provide some more expert info. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: