Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - m38 will not turn over
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

m38 will not turn over

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boelcke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: m38 will not turn over Reply with quote

help please, trying to get my m38 to start. will not turn over

finialy got my jeep almost together and then unfortunaly I put a bad battery in line. When I attempted to start, a spark came from the battery. I now have pulled the battery and replaced it also had the starter looked over and rebuilt. Now the jeep will not turnover, it did before. the starter seems to want to start. I can here "the clutch" part fly out but will not turn need help. I get 25volt at the bat lead to the starter, horn works. I get voltage to the distriutor.
the jeep is a M38 1952 it does have the three circuit brakes installed not sure if they blew or if the are in the circut? not sure how to test to see where the problem is. also not sure if the starter need to be adjusted. if to is maybe just noty making full contact withthe start switch? any help would be great I would love to get the jeep runing this year and I hope this is the last hurdily to get over this jeep came to me in a box and three years later it is almost running almost.Sad
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well let's see what you have. A late M38 with the early circuit breakers and we have no idea which starter. You said it turned over before the starter got overhauled at the shop. Well since most shops aren't real familiar with these early kick start starters they usually don't have the tool to set pinion travel with. In either of the M38 starters the kick pedal moves the pinion gear into engagement with the flywheel. There is an adjustment to set when the pedal actually closes the switch on top of the starter which spins the electric motor. This setting is set so that the pinion is all the way back into engagement with the flywheel then the switch contacts close and the motor spins.

Tell me which starter you have and I can tell you how to adjust it or just use the search function on this site and you'll find the last time I wxplained all of this to someone else.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
boelcke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a late starter that I have. Do you think I shopuld remove the circuit brakers? do i need them? if you could let me know how to adjust the start switch that would be great. I'll see if I can look it up also. So far this is the best site I have found on m38 jeeps. LIke I said, mine came in a box and this is the first jeep and first military vehical I have worked on, other than helicopters. At first when I got the jeep I was going to make it a trail jeep, but so much was there that was military and now I am hooked on resturing it as original as possible to my wifes dismay.
boelcke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know how to adjust it, Just wanted to know Can I test by getting continuity between two lugs when the pedal is depressed?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the top of this page and click on "Downloads".

Then click on
Quote:
M38 M38A1 M170 M606 Body panels, Drive Train, Electrical
The last item "electrical".

Then click on:
Quote:
24V Waterproof Starter Manual

It's at the end of the last page. It's best to disconnect the battery cable and use a continuity tester or ohm meter and with the pinion set against the gage adjust the scew under the plastic plug until the switch just closes.

What kind of helicopters? I was a 67N20 on Hueys and Kiowas in the early 70's. Then went heavy jet USAF until I retired in 89. I still maintain a Bell 47. Untill a couple of years ago I also had a pair of Hughes 500's to maintain. I'm and A&P/IA.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
boelcke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much you have been very helpful. I'll try adjusting it hope this will fix the problem.
I also have a a+p but no Ia Heicopter back raoud is mostly sikorsky ch53, h60 s76 and now s92 but i have also worked on some bell and euro copter products. curently working for sikorsky.
again thank you I will let you know when I get her running.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make this travel setting first.

boelcke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right it was not ajusted. When the pedeal was fully depressed there was no conection from one post to the other. problem is when I got her adjusted she did not spin instead she shorted somewhere internaly. When I tried to start her someone let the smoke out of the starter and the smoke came out the bell houseing. so much for a rebuild. does any one know anybody that can do a good rebuild on m38 starters. Again thank you for the help so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: