Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

FS: 28 volt - 100 amp generator
H-33F/AT (PRC-9 Handset)
Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M 38 Top Don't Fit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M 38 Top Don't Fit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: M 38 Top Don't Fit Reply with quote

Is there any adjustment you can make to the windshield, bows, or ? to make the top fit better - mine will not got down over the outside corners of the windshield. Have tried hot sun, loosening straps, but it just won't go over the corners - thanks for any help - Sonny
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about as far as the usually go.

If yours will not come this far even after taking the tension off the rear then the canvas is not wide enough. If it's a new top it may be a bit short on width. If it's an older top it may have shrunk. If this is the case soak it and pre-stretch it again.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: top Reply with quote

Was it a repo top or window frame ??? if so who did you get it from ???
FrankenJeep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't help you, but I had a baffling mystery with my M38. I took a metal "bikini" top off an other M38. It fit fine so I had no idea that it might not fit the other Jeep! When I transferred it over, it was (apparently) too SHORT! And I'm like.............what th' Sam Hill? I measured in several place on BOTH Jeeps and they both had the same measurements. I at first thought, somehow, there was a difference in bodies. Nope. Ah ha! OK, so the windshield has a different "rake" or slant. Nope! Now what?
After all that trouble, the top ain't gonna fit. Sad I finally found a way to make it work. I ruled out moving the top bow brackets or drilling additional holes; better NOT to have a top than to "booger up" a good body. It worked out that the rear bows would fit BESIDE the existing brackets and all I had to do was drill a hole in each bottom bow that matched one of the existing holes. This way I could use the top should I get caught out in the rain OR remove it without having ugly damage which would ruin(?) the value of the Jeep (its TOO nice to mess up!)

It doesn't look bad at all. Only when a purist looks at the rear brackets will anyone notice it is "different". It simply sits snugly beside the brackets held by one bolt on each side. It looks like the canvas top, and the builder (homemade) was a good sheet metal mechanic and did a good job of mimicking the original top. I am thinking I will treat the aluminum top and paint it OD to look like the canvas. I won't have all that "flapping" either! Smile_

FrankenJeep

1951 M38

"Go Air Force"
sonny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - it is a repo top and don't know where it came from as I got it with the jeep when I bought it - the old top fit great. I will try soaking and stretching it because it doesn't fit nearly as well as Wes' photo - Sonny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: