Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - flathead 4 cylinder motors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flathead 4 cylinder motors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: flathead 4 cylinder motors Reply with quote

for sale .. I have about 6 flathead engines and some are MB all are flathead and some even turn over, one or two came off of generators... have no idea the value and need to clean out my shed, looking for a fair price... neuby47@hotmail.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without hearing them run. without any warranty, without any accessories they are worth the core value currently be offered by the major rebuilt L134 engine providers. The same applies to any mounted accessories such as carbs, generators, starters and fuel pumps. Just call or email a rebuilder and find out core value.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: flat head engines Reply with quote

Hi wesk, thanks, I will check it out, do you have any idea if even a military 4 cylinder is worth?? I may just put them on my flat bed trailer and take them to Iola and see what happens... thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you go thru the pains of preparing the engine for evaluation and checking several items ahead of time they don't sell for a lot. Engines that "Ran before it was removed" and "Turn freely" have no guarantee they are rebuildable. Trash cranks, cams, rods, pistons, cylinder bores and etc can still exist in these engines. Not to even mention cracks in the block and warped heads.

Folks shopping for an engine to put in their jeeps want some guarantee the engine will pass muster at the machine shop. They are not willing to take the risk with no assurances from the seller.

There are guys like me that buy the proverbial "Boat Anchors" because they are cheap and MAY yield some usable parts. I have 8 of them laying around the shop now and the most I paid for any of them was $75.

Now if you take five engines to Iola, clearly mark their serial numbers on them with a crayola and set them all neatly upside down on your trailer and remove each pan, the three main caps, which need to be clearly stamped with match marks first, and allow prospects to inspect them you may do quite well. Once you have satisfied the buyer's curiosity that the crank and cam are good and none of the rods are loose and she turns freely he may buy on the spot without asking to remove the head. Head removal is tough sometimes so if you really want to be prepared to sell at a good price pull the heads at home and then re-install them without torqueing the bolts.

A good looking bare M38 engine with a MCXXXXX serial number visible should sell for $150 to $300 depending on the buyer's needs and the serial number of his M38.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

Thanks Wesk, thats all the info I need, appreciate it!!! will give that a try...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your M43 up and running or a project?

dozenjeeps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

Yes, the M-43 is all painted up and looks great, has the spare tire carrier on the door and is a good runner, had to do some repairs but she looks good... going to ask 7500.00 for it, if thats to high I don't care as I like it and she runs great... would post pics of her in last falls parade but I can only attach to my emails, have not been able to figure this out on here... just CP CHALLENGED I GUESS...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: