Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Dana 25 Front Axle Parts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 25 Front Axle Parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmercer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Dana 25 Front Axle Parts Reply with quote

This is a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try anyways. In the process of tearing everything down on my Jeep I discovered that everything has been robbed out of the front axle. At the moment I cannot afford to buy all new parts for the the front, so I am looking for some decent shape used parts. I need a Ring and Pinion and both axles shafts. I can buy new spider gears. Even a complete front axle assembly I can use the parts from is fine. The catch is that I am located in Alberta, Canada, so the axle would need to be around there. If someone has a ring and pinion and/or the shafts out already I could pay to have them shipped.

Thanks,

Jim

Additional info entered by Wes K:
Be sure the new ring (43 teeth) and pinion (8 teeth) set are correct (5:38 to 1 ratio) and they come from a Dana 25. The CJ's used several other ratios. Try to match axles so you have the same type joint on each side. IE Cardan, Bendix or Rzeppa. The type joint determines the max steering angle setup with the steering stop bolt.
http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/d25.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_44
ocwd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Axle Parts Reply with quote

Jim,

Given a couple of weeks, I may be able to come up with the parts that you need. I have an NOS ring and pinion sitting in my garage. I am not sure if it is for a Dana 44 or a Dana 25. I'll take a look this evening. I would take $100 for the ring and pinion. Kind of expensive but a fair price. I think I can find the used parts that you need though.

Dave
jmercer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Axle Parts Reply with quote

ocwd wrote:
Jim,

Given a couple of weeks, I may be able to come up with the parts that you need. I have an NOS ring and pinion sitting in my garage. I am not sure if it is for a Dana 44 or a Dana 25. I'll take a look this evening. I would take $100 for the ring and pinion. Kind of expensive but a fair price. I think I can find the used parts that you need though.

Dave

Dave,

Just let me know what you find out. One thing I am not sure about though is the ratio. I do not know what the rear end is on mine, but obviously I need the same for the front. Did they all come the same? Is there any way to check what I have?

Jim
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All production M38's came with the D44 in the rear and the D25 in the front and all were 5:38 to 1 gears. There's a tag on the pumpkin cover between two bolts that list's the ring and pinion gear tooth counts.

43 and 8

Note that when you divide 43 by 8 you get 537.5 hence the 5:38 to 1 labeled gear ratio.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jmercer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
All production M38's came with the D44 in the rear and the D25 in the front and all were 5:38 to 1 gears. There's a tag on the pumpkin cover between two bolts that list's the ring and pinion gear tooth counts.

43 and 8

Note that when you divide 43 by 8 you get 537.5 hence the 5:38 to 1 labeled gear ratio.

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense. Thanks Wes! Much appreciated.

Jim
ocwd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Ring & Pinion Reply with quote

Jim,

Looks like the ring and pinion I have is for the Dana 25. WO-801928 G740-7032627. 5.38 ratio 43x8 teeth. As stated on the other post, I am selling it for $100 plus shipping. These parts are still in the original box. I opened the box but the parts are wrapped up so I did not disturb them.

Dave
jmercer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring & Pinion Reply with quote

ocwd wrote:
Jim,

Looks like the ring and pinion I have is for the Dana 25. WO-801928 G740-7032627. 5.38 ratio 43x8 teeth. As stated on the other post, I am selling it for $100 plus shipping. These parts are still in the original box. I opened the box but the parts are wrapped up so I did not disturb them.

Dave

Thanks Dave, sent you a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: