Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB: C-375/VRC Interphone Control Box
wrong pic shown in radio installation manual pages?
WTB: four regulator shock mounts
Willys front seat back cover
A new one from overseas
NOS parts package date
AN/GRC-7 antenna question
Gold Medal award at MVPA Nationals
looking for drawings of the spare tire mounting bracket
M38A1 worm shaft

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Wheel house brace
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wheel house brace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Wheel house brace Reply with quote

Inside the driver's side wheel house on this m38a-1 tub there is...or was...a brace welded from the inner wall of the wheel house....to the ceiling of the wheel house..to the outside panel of the body.....like this:
[url]
drvr_wheelhouse_rearpanel by idiocrates, on Flickr[/url]
Does anybody make or reproduce this brace.....and/or was it only necessary if there was a pile of radio equipment stacked on the wheel house? Thanks.
by the way...this picture is taken with the tub standing on its passenger side....front of vehicle to the left....and you're looking at the bottom.

'?? - M38A-1
Rick_L

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.classicent.com/jeep.php#car5175
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...is what you're trying to show me is that Classic Ent. makes this brace? The only thing in their parts that might come close is the External Wheelhouse Angle Support.....and I thought it was welded to the inside of the tub in front of the wheelhouse (exterior to the wheelhouse) and reinforces the front face of the wheelhouse. From what I can see in my wheelhouse it looks like the brace I'm looking for is one-piece....but I can see where two of these braces could do the job.....if installed end-to end. So is that what you're proposing?

'?? - M38A-1
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a better view

You can see the long vertical leg down the inbd side of the wheel house in the top photo and short vertical leg down the side panel in the lower photo.

Here's my crude illustration on how you combine two of the channels.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Classic Enterprises parts might fit with some work. I could not find this part in reproduction anywhere. Midwest Military could probably make this part and DL Bensinger carries a ton of reproduction parts not advertised on the internet. It might end up being a univeral-fit type part like a lot today that are not jeep vehicle specific.

If that does not work... it might be overkill for a budget but a prototyping sheetmetal shop could easily reproduce this part. Simplified, just a straight hat channel with two bends. Probably a couple hours work at most with the right equipment.

You can use a tailers cloth measuring tape to get an approximate idea on part dimensions. Thats a tough one to authentically repair. I hope that helps.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the parts shown are correct for that installation. I believe they went with two pieces so those changing just a wheel house or a quarter panel wouldn't have to remove all the welds on both sides.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
idiocrates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the Classic Ent. braces a try. I wondered why the raised center channel on the long leg of the brace was depressed at the end.....now I know.

'?? - M38A-1
jasonm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I am going through the same thing on my m-38 on both the drivers and passengers side,.
I Just made them on a brake and cut a bunch of cuts at the angle needed and welded it all back up again,Use a flap disk to grind it all out and Prime.
I used 16 gauge its a bit thicker but easer to weld up all the small slit cuts.
Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: