Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Sheet Metal Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheet Metal Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Sheet Metal Question Reply with quote

I removed this part from my old end panel with intentions of reusing it on my new end panel. After getting it off and cleaning it up a bit there is practically nothing left of it so it looks like I am going to have to fabricate something to replace it. Has anyone ever tried to make one of these on a pan brake? And are the sloped areas close to the ends physically necessary? I will be installing a spare tire carrier and a jerry can holder and eventually a canvas top.....so are these reduced width areas necessary for any of these?
[img]
end_panel_old by idiocrates, on Flickr[/img]

'?? - M38A-1
STXM38A1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear panel had a section removed by PO for canine egress. Part of the piece you're referring to was cut away in that modifation. I've looked around for possible solutions, and I've noticed that D&L Bensinger has a M38A1 "Hat Channel for Rear Panel" advertised for $20. https://www.dlbensinger.com/bemakm38.php (scroll down to M38A1 portion) I haven't purchased one so I can't tell you anything about quality or fit.

Did you cut and paste repairs to the rear panel itself? If so, what gauge sheet metal did you use?

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
idiocrates

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my end panel with a new one from Classic Enterprises and truthfully.....they claim they use 18 gauge metal (just like the original) so I'm going to have to defer to their honesty and say that's what it is.

All I did to my old end panel was remove the paint and body filler. It already has so many repairs...rust throughs....cracks....brass brazing repairs.....excessive holes....and rusted away tub supports that I deemed it unusable. Plus the previous owner had closed up the tail light and trailer receptacle holes and pretty badly mangled the tail light internal mounts. I knew the bar across the back was going to be hard to find so I tried to salvage it. Turned out it too had been cut at one time and a piece of angle iron welded over the cuts......and it was packed full of sand which had apparently retained a lot of moisture cause it was severely rust pitted from the inside out. Wouldn't have been too may more years and the channel would have just disintegrated.

I'm going to visit a machine shop this weekend to see if they think they can bend me a new (if not 100% correct) channel.....if not....I'm fabricating something out of light tubular steel....still not correct...but functional...which is all I want.

I appreciate the link to Bensinger's though......and will check that out as well.

'?? - M38A-1
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STXM38A1 wrote:
My rear panel had a section removed by PO for canine egress.

K-9 egress?? thats a new one.. Bubba musta laid awake
all nite to come up with that one..You gotta post that one
along with the other "worst bubba mods"
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hat channel should have metal tubes on the inside as sleeve supports for the mounting bolts where the tire carrier is on the back. This prevents the hat channel from collapsing from the weight of the tire over time.

When I repaired mine I also welded a washer on the inside surface around the mounting holes as reinforcement.

With the footman loops being spot welded and all the angles etc. It is a fairly hard part to make or repair without the right tools.
idiocrates

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replay. As near as I can tell, there is no physical reason why the tapers are on the ends of the channel. The one on the driver's side seems to have been to make roon for the trailer plug but on the other end I see no real immediate reason (except to balance it out in appearance). Since I won't be having a trailer plug receptacle I'm going to shoot for a very simple piece that is linear from one end to the other. My old channel had the remnants of the reinforcement you are refering to to support the tire carrier. I'll do something similiar probably with black pipe spacers tacked into place.

'?? - M38A-1
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my jeep I had body damage to the rear panel from a previous driver backing into something pushing the tire into the panel and creasing it. It was a long drawn out process to repair it...

I have been to Daryl Bensingers warehouse a few times and seen the MD Juan parts he has for the M38A1 and they look like NOS parts to me. It is pretty amazing to see all these brand new parts lined up. I think they are better than they appear in images probably.

That back panel is a tough repair whatever way it is resolved I think.
circleburner12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ordered the hat channel for the rear panel from d l bensinger, when it arrived" it look totally different from my original, i called and ask why it was so different and d l bensinger said it fits the aftermaket tubs. wish i would have known that before ordering it. sent it back and got my money back!

im not bashing d l bensinger by all means just letting ya'll know about the channel
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. No point buying junk.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circleburner can you post photos of the MD Juan part in the topic I started on the parts page?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=32771#32771

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
circleburner12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk, to be honest i dont know if i took a pic of it or not. when i get home i'll check and see. but i do remember the channel i purchase was alot more narrow than my original one and just looked odd on the panel.
circleburner12

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk, i looked for so pic's, i guess i didnt take pic of the channel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: