Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Windshield Fit For An M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windshield Fit For An M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Windshield Fit For An M38A1 Reply with quote

I am finishing up my restoration of a 1961 A1 and have a problem with the fit of the windshield. Everything looks normal but there is not enough adjustment in the hold down levers to make the windshield fit tight without wobbling front to rear. There must be at least a quarter inch of space between the gasket and cowl that needs to taken up and the military had two cowl gaskets in place to take up the slack. I know this because both gaskets were painted OD Green. I put a new gasket on and it really needs the two gaskets.

The release levers do not look stretched and the alignment of the windshield is good. My question is this: Is it possible the windshield was swapped out for one that is built differently but similar? I am thinking maybe an M170 or some other model. I ordered wiper blades and found that I have the later wiper vacuum units and they have a different size mounting for the blades.

The 1961 seems to be a bit of a transition year in some other respects and I am not certain if the windshield and wiper units are stock or not. I measured the frame next to the hold down brackets and in the center and came up with 20 3/16 and 20 3/4 inches. Possibly someone could check theirs for comparison. I could order new hold downs but why wouldn't the military have done that? Hate to order something that won't fix the problem.

Any help appreciated as always. I am so close to done that I won't let this stop me but it sure would be nice to know what is wrong.

Mariposa Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M38A1 windshield remained the same throughout production. The M170 was the same windshield with the added changes for the ambulance equipment. The M38A1C was the same windshield modified for the barrel slot.

I have interchanged these windshields over the years as well as utilizing several CJ 5 windshields and they all fit the defroster box just fine. Either you have a damaged cowl/defroster box area or the windshield base or the hinges are bent.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an unrestored 1962 USMC M38A1 and it does exactly the same thing. But I do not think it is related to model. More likely just age.

The windshield frame alignment should closely follow the angle of the hinge when veiwed from the side profile. So if you run a straight edge along this angle the part angles should nearly match. If you look at period photographs, the windshields on new M38A1's have a very sharp appearance.

I have encountered three reasons that the frames do not follow this angle.

1) I have seen reproduction M38A1/CJ5 windshield frames that do not fit correctly because they were not made like the originals.

2) The windshield cowl gasket has aged and shrunk from it's original measurements allowing the windshield frame to sag backward from the top.

3) And lastly a very common reason that Wes mentioned... the bottom part of the windshield frame under the gasket has developed broken welds or cracks from years of use. When the windshield is pulled backward at the top the sheet metal under the gasket collapses over time particularly near the hinges.
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes and Bull Run. I believe my best bet now would be to order new hold downs. The window angle is good and the cowl is not bent or caved in.

I heard before that one of the reasons these become a problem is that during use, GI's would grab the top of the windshield for support when getting out of the jeep. That would cause the damage you both mentioned but I do not have that, at least as far as I can tell. I will double check with the straight edge.

Bull Run. Was your A1 painted gloss or semi gloss from the factory? I had several areas on mine that appeared gloss and saved one by masking the cowl gasket area we just spoke of. I wanted some example of original paint for future reference. My 1961 is also a USMC order.
BullRun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell it is either dull or semigloss USMC green where original paint still exists. I have seen photo's of late model USMC M38A1's used for parade or ceremonial uses that are clearly painted in a gloss USMC green.
madmike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that and I believe mine was one of them. But I could not find gloss from the suppliers. I did find that hardener in the paint turns the color darker and adds more gloss. Probably a little more experimentation and a trip outside the liberal nation of California would have turned up a source to mix the paint for me. We now cannot buy regular paint thinner. You know, the kind to clean your brushes. It has to have the green label and the crap does not work. Evil or Very Mad

I also noted that the USMC green paint I could get is a lighter shade than my Jeep. Not a lot different, but different none the less. May have something to do with the gloss content. But the Jeep looks pretty good in semi gloss livery so that is the way it will be.

Mad (in Ca.) Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: