Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Some electrical questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some electrical questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzshipman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Some electrical questions Reply with quote

Restoring/fixing a 1951 M38 and we are converting it to 12 volt. Believe it or not, it was 6 volt so I have no idea were that idea came from. I know all about changing over the starter and the lights and all the easy stuff. Now comes the hard questions. I would like to keep it as original looking as possible. Do they make headlights like the original in 12 volt? I want to put an original light and ignition switch in. Do the sell pigtails for these since they have a waterproof connectors on the back. What kind of connector are they, maybe I can just buy the connectors and make my own since I'm going to be making up the rest of the wiring myself. I hope I explained myself correctly and if anyone has any questions about what I'm asking just ask.

Thanks,
Kevin
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use any standard 7" 12 volt lamp. It will have the standard civvy three prong plug on it. Buy two three prong plug receptacles with short pigtails and put Douglass connectors on the pig tails. Then use the three short Douglass pigtails used to connect to the lamp inside the headlight bucket and then they are snapped into the three brackets inside the bucket and no one will ever be the wiser.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
buzzshipman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I was thinking that the headlights were like the MB and smaller but know that I looked at some more pictures of other M38's I see they are the 7" ones. That is no problem. Can you buy douglass connectors at an auto parts store or where would I get them ? I guess that is what they are called for plugging in the back of the switches. Everything else I'm just going to wire up normally with nice crimp connectors unless I get actual tailights which I would like to do also. Thanks for the info just in knowing which wire goes where on the headlights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: