Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

FS: 28 volt - 100 amp generator
H-33F/AT (PRC-9 Handset)
Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Why is it sparking?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is it sparking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Why is it sparking? Reply with quote

Just finished installing a 1951 M38 electrical system. The harness is Vintage wiring of Maine. All stock 24 volt system. Thought I'd be careful and check for any dead shorts or leakage problems by testing the main ground lead with the batteries all in place. I noticed a spark with my jumper wire from the neg. ground battery post to the engine stud. This is with the main ground cable disconnected, ignition switch off. All systems off but connected. Once it made the initial spark, I can disconnect the jumper and try again and no spark. I can attach my 12 volt test light, and it doesn't light up. I can make it light by touching the positive post of the battery, so the light is good. If I let it sit and try again with the jumper, it sparks again. So I let it sit and tried the test light-----no light ever. Question Question Is there a capacitor or exciter wire that is causing this? I didn't comb my hair (don't have much anyway) and get static electricity into the equasion. Cool Wes, anyone, can you tell me what is going on? John
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a capacitor in the stock 25 amp voltage regulator that will spark one time each attempt. If after the spark the test lamp does not illuminate that you have in series between the negative post and the negative terminal then you are good to go.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, no light, so I'm good. Weeding out a few other issues which I think are no ground due to new paint everywhere. Starter needed the threaded rod for the switch adjusted before it fired up----whew----and then it's a quick re-charging of oil in the gallery and go for the engine start. I don't think this engine or Jeep has moved under it's own power for at least 20 years. Had to go through everything. Found lots of previous bad fixes and straightened them out. Sure am glad to have friends to "lean on" that have practical knowlege. John
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well painted jeep needs to have all grounds cleaned well for good contact - I ran into that too.

If you do have a short, then you will know quickly as 24V burns brightly.

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: