Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post
Early M38 light switch resistor value
Painting the Block
Fitting exhaust Manifold
M38 no start condition

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Oil Filter Relocation Kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Oil Filter Relocation Kit Reply with quote

Hi Wes:

In Ryan's post you mention a factory oil filter relocation kit. Just wondering if you know more about these... I have two vehicles that may have used these kits.

Thanks!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the factory offered a kit to put the filter over on the left fender inner skirt. It was used when hydraulic pumps and governors were added to the front of the engine.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes... I am researching a non Willys vehicle that came with a very difficult to source oil filter as original equipment.

When found today in the USA these vehicles are commonly fitted with a Fram Military Junior oil filter canister installed on the left front fender skirt.

I always thought that the conversions were too well done to be backyard jobs as they are all nearly identical in how they are installed.

I bet that back in the 1950's this was the unofficial solution to the oil filter problem by using the Willys kit which would of been available nearly everywhere.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned and drove several cars in the early 60's that came without oil filters. Back then JC Whitney and many others sold firewall and fender mounted kits. With the Willys sytem not being a full flow filter system (It's a bypass system) you need to make sure the filter kit provided the correct back pressure.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'll have to check that... and like you mention... I always forget J.C.Whitney, Sears and others who sold jeep parts.

Ironically, because of the internet the original engine oil filters are now very easy to get and when I restore these vehicles I will use the factory filters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: