Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Gallery Request
R-110 , PRC-77, PRC-25 Radios
ANother M38 steering assembly identification question
F134 engine fuel pump question
M38-YS637S Carb question
RT-70 & other radios... Stencilling
Willys Service Bulletins 1945-1951
P.C.V Baffle
Rubber washers on F134 valve cover by
Adding pictures to post

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - shackle removal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shackle removal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: shackle removal Reply with quote

I cant get the shackles to come off on my m38a1. they are the "C" shaped ones with a grease fitting in the middle of the bolt on the outside of the frame. as far as I understand, they thread in to the frame, and at least one on the front suspension is reverse threads. well. this joker makes me want to cuss. a few beers, some welding 3/4" steel pipe on the bolt, some more beer, more welding, and a 2' monkey wrench did nothing but rip part of the bolt off. tried the torch, penetrating oil, praying, cussing, kicking. nothing works. I really hope I am a complete moron and have been doing it wrong. again, I know one is reverse threads, and I tried it both ways before reaming it off. all four are stuck, back shackles on both front and rear leaf springs. thanks for the help, and god I hope I sound like a moron and its something stupid simple.
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's not just you… I had one stick when tearing down my m38. I worked at it for hours over several days. Tried everything from oil to the torch along with liberal applications of force. Eventually the end of the thing gave up and sheared off. I had to cut off the shackle and mount a new one…

It worked out in the end, but here's hoping that you have better luck!

M38 CDN
52-30718
Xamon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, exact same as Hawkshadow. 3 came off alright one was completely bound and is getting replaced.
jason

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did some more work on them when I got home from work today. Welded pipe onto what was left of the nuts, got the front suspension completely off. I switched from Budweiser to yuengling. Must have done the trick. Hope my luck continues for the back two. Oh and on a side note, neither was reverse threads.
Hawkshadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

M38 CDN
52-30718
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LF and RR are supposed to be LH thread in the spring ends. The frame threads are all RH thread. The U shackle has to be installed all the way into the frame hole because the frame shackle is threaded. Then you screw in the "nut". If they rust, You might try heating up until red hot and then apply water to them. It sucks the water into the rust layer. That's on a bare frame. Doing it to a complete Jeep that way could end up burning your jeep up. I've had the best luck using a good quality air impact wrench on them. If the hex head is twisted off, You have a fight on your hands. I doubt you can pound them out. Putting a new shackle mount on would be best in the end. If you can cut the spring side of the u shackle off, maybe you can turn it out and get at the twisted off nut sleeve, but man what a job to cut it to relieve it. John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: