Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 PVC System Reducing Elbow Needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 PVC System Reducing Elbow Needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: M38A1 PVC System Reducing Elbow Needed Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where to get the 90 degree reducing elbow circled in the pic below? It goes from 1/8 NPT Female to 1/4 NPT Female. I've been able to source all the other fittings from Weatherhead or Parker, but no one seems to offer the 90 degree reducing elbow with both ends female. It's supposed to be made of steel per the ORD, but if it's being made today it's being made in brass. The ORD part number is 8329637 or WO-807430.

Or if someone has one laying in the bottom of their toolbox and would part with it...........I'm game! Just shoot me your price and address.

thanks,
bob

4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Unless you are doing a factory resto you could get a 1/4 x 1/4
and drop a bushing in there.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for 8 bucks including the ride....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AF-C3509-04-02-1-4-Female-Pipe-x-1-8-Female-Pipe-90-Elbow-/172512797936?hash=item282a9064f0%3Ag%3AYkAAAOSw-0xYk8KL&_trkparms=pageci%253Ac14b2c5e-5059-11e7-8e65-74dbd1805ac3%257Cparentrq%253Aa265eee315c0ab4da3d26805fff1e398%257Ciid%253A2
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi B,

Thanks for the info.........I would like to find something that looks factory correct.......but I may have to live with something like what you linked to until I find or have made what I need. I bought a machined brass 1/8 FNPT to 1/8 FNPT 90 and figured I could drill and tap one side....but there's not enough material left to be functional. On the other hand the one in your post (and those crossed to it) are made of steel.........I could always weld it up and grind it square to look like the original. Lot of work for one fitting that I know I will find or be given AFTER I go thru all that. Just the way the world works!

Thanks again for the info!

regards,
bob
w30bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi boys,

I put up the same Wanted post over on G503 and got a few responses with eBay listings similar to what Brian sent. So to save you guys from wasting your time with similar responses.....I know everyone is busy these days.....here's my reply to those guys;

Ok..........guess I'm not explaining this right.....my bad. But radtech gets it. Sure, they make tons of 90 degree reducing elbows.......brass, cast iron, etc......but none of them look remotely close to the original part. 8329637 looks like a square/rectangular block of steel machined flat on all sides except one, drilled and tapped for 1/8 FNPT on one side and 1/4 FNPT on the other. The other reducing elbows out there will work.........but will look like something from under your sink. As radtech said..........they must have been made special.

But after more digging last night I may have found a way around this problem. Instead of using the correct unobtainium steel block female to female reducing elbow I can use a brass block reducing elbow that goes 1/4 female to 1/8 MALE (just changing the 1/8 female to male)..............if I switch the branch tee it connects to from a 602x5, which has the male 1/8 NPT on the top, to a 652x5, which has a female 1/8 hole on top. It won't be technically correct, but when screwed together you won't be able to tell if the male end is on the reducing elbow or the branch tee.........it will just like two blocks of brass connected by a small nipple. With a little steel color paint it'll look original! But what a friggin' pain in my arse. Rolling Eyes

Thanks boys. And if you do ever run across one of these square steel reducing elbows I still want it. I'm going to frame it and put it on my wall to remind me that restoring MVs isn't always fun.

thanks,
bob
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That or take the elbow with the 1/8" npt male thread, cut all that off,
then drill and tap that end for female 1/&" npt.

Have you called any of the usual suspects? I'd certainly call John at Midwest
or Matt at QTM. Both seem to have a respectable boneyard. As well
as Brent Mullins.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other suggestion. Go down to your local NAPA or other
auto parts and ask them if you can dig through their drawers of
brake fittings. It's pretty interesting what you can find just looking
in there yourself versus having the pimply faced kid banging around
on the computer at the front desk.
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other suggestion. Go down to your local NAPA or other
auto parts and ask them if you can dig through their drawers of
brake fittings. It's pretty interesting what you can find just looking
in there yourself versus having the pimply faced kid banging around
on the computer at the front desk.
w30bob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi B,

Yeah, I should call John......he is pretty resourceful. My local Napa used to be the coolest place to hang out and find old parts. Then the old guy who ran it retired or disappeared and a bunch of young guys took it over who know nothing about anything made before 1990. Now every time I go in there looking for something that I don't have the exact Napa part number for I just get a dumb look from whomever is behind the counter. Rolling Eyes

Those were the good old days.

Turns out AJP had the 652X5 alternate branch Tee I was talking about....and I'm ordering the 3400x4x2 now......so I should be good to go. But I'll keep an eye out for that mystical reducing elbow in my travels.

Thanks,
bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: