Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Seat spring restoration
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seat spring restoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Seat spring restoration Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Is anyone familiar with replacing, or actually restored, the seat springs in the rear seat cushions? I orded a set of "take out" springs online and they arrived today. The seat back cushion springs are fine......a quick soak in Evapo-Rust and a shot of of gloss black paint and they'll be good as new.

But the seat bottom springs are a different story. The larger zig-zag springs are good, but the thinner long coils of wire that run every which way need ro be replaced in certain areas. Once that thin wire gets some rust on it the structural integrity is compromised and they break. I can buy some spring wire and wind my own, but maybe someone has already done this and has already sourced the wire or found long pre-made coils.

Anybody been there, done that?

Thanks,
Bob
w30bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.......did a little digging and this will be easy. After staring at these long springs it hit me......the long springs that hold all the zig zag springs together and are all over the outer frame wire are simply over-extended common tension springs. And the dimensions of the wire diameter and coil OD are also common. Finally something simple on this darn jeep.

Regards,
Bob
Bobber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where did you find the springs? What sizes did you order? I replaced my seats with foam, but later went back to the vinyl/leatherette material. I like the give the spring seats have, but will need to recover them. Half the suspension is in the seats Very Happy
G740

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Seat springs Reply with quote

Midwest Military has NOS rear bottom springs with padding and covers.
John
w30bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rusty,

I'm going to steal them from work. Laughing
But extension springs are easy to find..........I know my local hardware store has them, as well as Grainger and McMaster. And they're cheap....even the stainless ones.

The rear seat bottom uses one long spring on the top and bottom to go around the circumference of each frame and 5 springs to run horizontal connecting each zig-zag spring to each other and to the frame on the ends. So that's 2 long springs and 10 shorter ones in total. I counted coils and the long springs have 85 coils and the short springs have 67 coils. The springs are 0.5 in OD with a wire thickness of 0.05 in (or 1/16"). Adding that all up the long springs need to be 5.5 inches long and the short springs 4.5 inches long.

You'll find they come in plain spring steel, stainless, or guitar wire, and in a number of ODs and wire size........so you can make them the same as original or a bit more robust.

I did order a lower from John, but am heading to work now to get some springs and still fix what I have.

regards,
bob
w30bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty,

I raided the spring cabinet at work.......and after playing with a bunch of them I'm of the opinion that compression springs work much better than extension springs! Only issue is you have to get a much longer compression spring than an extension spring for the same number of coils. But the compression springs are much easier (and safer) to over stretch for use on the seat springs. I'm going to play with both types tomorrow and I'll see if I can get some pics.

regards,
bob
Bobber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: