Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Need help with parking brake install
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with parking brake install

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
32sbct

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Need help with parking brake install Reply with quote

My jeep is an M38 and all the parking brake parts (bracket, cable, handle, clamps, etc.) are original. I'm installing them on a reproduction body tub. I'm having two problems.

The first involves the handle and the bracket. I believe that I have the bracket aligned and centered on the brace. I've also tried sliding it forward and back within the slots provided. When the nuts are slightly tightened the handle moves in a and out OK. But when I fully tighten the nuts it causes the handle to bind to the point where I can't budge it in either direction. However I can't figure out how or why its binding. Since it seems ok somewhat loose maybe I need to shim it up higher? Any suggestions are appreciated.

The second question is on how the cable is supposed to work. When I pull the handle, is the whole cable supposed to move or is the inner stand cable supposed to move in and out of the larger cable, like the fording and choke cables. On mine the whole cable moves. If this is not correct is there a way to fix it or do I need a new cable?

All of these parts were last used in 1980 and have been sitting in a crate ever since so something being stuck would make sense. Thanks for your help. Marty
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the cable, only the inner cable moves, I would soak it in oil or some type of lubricant and get it to move... if I remember correctly it attaches to the cross member for the transmission and bolts to the bracket for the handle, and a clamp on the fender...

Hope that helps...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
billybob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Parking brake install. Reply with quote

When we installed the handle and cable on my repro tub the hole in the firewall was too high to let it work properly. I had to drill another hole about an inch lower so that the cable had a straight shot to the end of the handle. I would check that. It works just fine now.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is more likely as just posted. The handle and support bind when tightrened because you are actually bending them to force them to align with the dash and firewall holes.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dpcd67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to move the support bracket on a GPW tub a couple of years ago; the hole was in the right place but the bracket caused the cable to bind; check that too; it is either the hole or the bracket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: