Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Crankshaft index arrow
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crankshaft index arrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brumbach

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Crankshaft index arrow Reply with quote

What is the significance of the arrow index on the crankshaft rear flange? I can't seem to find reference to it in the manuals. I have read on other sites that when it is positioned at 12 O'clock it "can" indicate TDC but not necessarily. I'll bet it serves to orient the installation of the flywheel since the flywheel rear scribes TDC and 5 degree BTDC are used in conjunction with the cover plate in setting everything for timing. I know how to determine TDC and set timing. Just curious about the arrow. Thanks in advance.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a photo of your arrow!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crank is loaded. I'll give it a try.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always makes questions much easier to answer or research when they are accompanied by a photo.

Is the arrow painted or engraved?

I ask because I just looked at my cranks and they do not have any arrows on the front face of the rear flange.

Perhaps your arrow was added by a prior owner to help with indexing the crank to the flywheel for balance purposes?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Brumbach

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album487&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Quote:
That link above is for the smaller copy of your photo.

This is the link for the larger copy of your photo: http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/albums/album487/IMG_3426.jpg

If you put this before this link [img] and this after this link [/img] it will appear as a photo here in your post.

1st you left click on the " Img " icon above here and the [img] will appear in your post. Then go to your album and left click on your little photo in your album and the larger photo will appear. Then right click on the larger photo and then left click the drop down menu item " Copy image address ". Now go back to your post and left click just after the 1st [img] then right click
and left click in the drop down menu on " Paste " The link will appear in your post now just after the " [img] ". Now go to the top of the post again and left click on the " IMG* " icon and the " [/img] " will appear at the end of your photo link.

It only took me 5 seconds to do everything I told you in the above paragraph resulting in your photo appearing here.
Brumbach

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can zoom in you can see the arrow clearly. I don't know if that's possible at posted on photo gallery. I'm tech dumb when it comes to this stuff.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That arrow is clearly an index mark for the flywheel positioning. I noticed you edited your posts above because I could swear you said the arrow was on the other side of the flange originally.

Again, my M38 crank does not have the arrow. Since it is etched on yours so lightly it would not be visible thru any heavy corrosion or pitting.

I have always been in the habit of make indexing marks on cranks and flywheels on old engines for two reasons.

1: these are often dynamically balanced as a set.

2: early engines had the timing marks on the flywheel and these flywheels can be installed 2 ways each 180 degrees apart. When you pick the wrong flywheel index you end up having to use #4 TDC instead of #1 TDC for timing.

Brumbach

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did edit as the statement was in error. I realized it when I went to take the photo. You must've read as quickly as I'd posted it. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the response.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will keep things more understandable in these long threads when you edit an earlier post if you leave the error and add the correction so both can be seen and the full text of each reply afterwards is better understood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: