Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - How should I transport a M38A1?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How should I transport a M38A1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linx310

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: How should I transport a M38A1? Reply with quote

I am in Central Texas and I am thinking about buying a running M38A1 in Lincoln NE.

I currently do not have a vehicle set up to do towing so. The 2003 Toyota Tacoma I have doesn't have a tow hitch.

So I am trying to figure out which way would be the most cost effective:

1. Purchase a tow hitch and then rent a car dolly from u-haul. I drive there myself and pick it up. Round trip 2-3 days. (32 hours of driving).

2. Pay a vehicle transportation service to bring me the vehicle. The quotes I have been getting are $550-$800.

3. Fly there and rent a u-haul to bring it back. ($1100 + ticket cost).

I am wondering if its better just for me to pay a vehicle transportation service to bring me the vehicle because a tow hitch and the labor to install it is going to be $150-$300.

Any advice on moving one of these things? Any recommendations on a shipper I could use.
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check and post inquiry on the "Transportation" section here and also the following:

G503
SteelSoldiers
Uship
Trackpads?

also consider Membership with the MVPA or check local MV groups in NE and vicinity for transport inquiry.

I got my vehicle delivered from Wa state to NY for $950 last year !, that's when gas was 4.25 $ /G on average Shocked

I used these guys, a broker: http://www.rapidautotransport.com/
!! bonded and licensed!!. Make sure any transport company you use has a copy of lic and insurance filed with the Dept of Trans and get a copy of it before you give them anything.
A suggestion, you'll want to ask the owner if he would help on loading or be transporting to an easier load area or terminal close to the preffered highway. This cuts the cost significantly with some companies, Particularly with multi veh transports. Also, important that you mention that the vehicle does not sit in a terminal to long awaiting for transport. Not offer dismay upon your purch, but I've heard horror stories of vehicles being left at transport depots overnight and getting things ripped off or damaged.(some of these depots are in shady neighborhoods with little to no security)
Should you opt for multi carrier "open" transport. Would suggest you have the vehicle tucked forward and bottom on the rack right behind the cab of the tractor. lot less shock and the most protected area.
When receiving a quote, mention the windshield folds down!!

I'd request that you contact the seller to have him remove:
- the dash data plate and willys vin tag (located on the passenger wheel well) off the vehicle.
- the front fender mounted Blackout light and bolts

have him mail these to you with the title and current speedo mileage if so provided immediately after and before you arrange the vehicle be picked up or transported.
Have the windshield folded down and cushioned for transport and be sure the driver-side view mirror is tucked inward.
Good idea also to have the seller provide dated photos of the entire vehicle and underside before and during load for transport as evidence in case of damage or claim.

Make sure the vehicle has functional parking brake

Laughing

good luck!!!!!!

IMHO, I'd rent a trailer and bring a buddy. (preferably female) Wink
tom
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the most economical way is to hire it done for $500.

Before you remove the jeeps ID plates contact the mover to be sure he has a way to establish ownership of the jeep and positive ID of the jeep for his insurance company. It may be wiser to just remove the dash plates and pop rivet the patent plate on the wheel house.

Unless you have already personally inspected the jeep's condition and drivability do not head up there with a car tote. The condition of the jeep then determines your towing speed home. It is ALWAYS best to pick up a new used jeep with a trailer that gets the entire jeep off the road.

Contacting a MV group close to the jeep may get you in contact with someone who would be willing to go over and inspect the jeep for you.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally concur, do not leave any aspect of chance when purchasing and transporting a vehicle "blind". your hard earned money can easily be sacrificed by chance and neglect.
To be informed and be 'picky' dictates the care and attention among those that deliver your product.

I would believe by dictating the condition of the vehicle, when purchased from the seller should be conscious to make 'reasonable' effort his hard earned sweat investment be preserved as well for the latter to enjoy and appreciate.
moby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have some experince with transporting my jeep. I used a company called BT express transport btexpressauto.com .The company is run by X nascar driver Billy Turner. they did a great job! picked up my jeep on time and delivered it to my door on a 30ft flatbed trailer. From Birmingham AL to Stony Creek CT in two days for 900.bucks not bad! It arrived in perfect condition,No problems. I recomend these guys. It might be worth getting a quote. , Don
Deino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contracted Express Auto Transport to ship my jeep from SLC, UT to KY. I wouldn't say the experience was great, but it got here in the same condition that it left. It took them 2 weeks to find a driver, which is twice as long as usual. They told me it was because there weren't many auto-haulers travelling through Utah....hard to believe that. But, I did get a driver eventually. Just make sure the seller is patient enough to hold onto the jeep for an extended period of time if you decide to contract out a shipper. Most cars go within a week, but there's always that small group that gets left behind. Oh, and it cost me $1095 total to ship. More than I wanted, but it sure beat driving 48 hours and missing work.
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Transporting Jeeps Reply with quote

My brother-in-law and I both purchased Jeeps several years ago and made long-distance drives to inspect and pick up the vehicles. As already stated, its very important to conduct a pre-purchase inspection and your shipper is not going to do that for you. I had a pickup that already had a towing package so I purchased a new trailer specifically to transport my M38A1 - it was a 2,000 mile round trip. My brother-in-law already had an enclosed trailer so we used my truck and his trailer - another 2,000 mile trip. I also made another Jeep buying trip within state plus trips for parts, another 1,000+ miles! I think I put almost 6,000 miles on my truck that year picking up Jeeps. I later sold the trailer for almost what I had in it. I'm not saying what I did is the best way but I like a "hands-on" approach. You could add a trailer hitch to your Tacoma and rent a U-haul flat bed trailer (especially if you don't know the condition of the Jeep's running gear) or a dolly. The hitch may come in handy later. Good luck with your new Jeep!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: