Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38A1 ID issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38A1 ID issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil4280

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: M38A1 ID issues Reply with quote

Hi there!
Well I have just become the owner of a M38A1. The M38A1 jeeps are particularly rare here in Australia. So at the moment I am unsure how it came to be here. Either one of a couple trailed by the Australian Army, ex US activity e.g. North West Cape or Woomera rocket Range or shipped here buy a movie company in the 80's or a private import.

I am currently having some issues trying to date and find any form of ID for this jeep. also the jeep is currently on the other side of the country and I am working from photos and information given to me by a friend.

The situation is the gentleman who was doing it up has unfortunately developed dementia so he cant be of any real help any more. Now he has fitted repro ID plates (which are unstamped Patent plate included) I currently don't know if the original ones survive.

Also the engine number has not been stamped in the location above the water pump. (could this mean a replacement engine block?)

All I have at this moment is a number that is painted on the bonnet. But I don't know if this is correct for this jeep or made up? The number is:- 20969447.

Also there are some stencilled markings on the right hand chassis rail that some one may know the meaning of:-
Top line- 809121
bottom line- D-GOVERMENT

Now I know early model CJ5 jeeps had their chassis number stamped on the side of the left chassis rail adjacent to the left rear wheel . Does this also apply to the M38A1's as well?

Just to complicate things a bit more I believe it has a repro tub that has the catch lid battery box cover and the 2 support stays to the radiator panel. But I am thinking it may be an early M38A1 as it has the grill hinges and the front guards has the brace bolted to the chassis.

So any help would be much appreciated. I am starting to think I may have to become inventive in regards to ID numbers.

Phil...
Latest addition M38A1 date e
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post WWII Willys & Kaiser military jeeps had the jeep serial number in only two places from the factory. The dash data plate and the right rear wheelhouse patent plate. Both of these were installed on the tub with screws so both can be easily dickered with.

The engine serials were unrelated to the jeep's serial. The normal placement of the M38A1 engine serial was on the small flat above the water pump which is a continuation of the block deck and those numbers often get wiped out when the top of the block has it's deck machined during an overhaul.

I would suggest you load the photos here on our web site's photo album page and we can then examine and offer you some opinions on the jeep's age.

You can also review the technical photos in my album at:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album87&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Phil4280

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wesk! I will need to get a photo file off you as I have not got around to getting one yet... slack of me I know!

Phil...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your new album:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album282&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Phil4280

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it has been some time since I last posted about my new acquisition. So I have just flown to the other side of Australia... some 3700 klm to prepare and arrange transporting it back to its new home.

The jeep is very tidy and under the bonnet it is very good. Considering the jeep has been sitting dormant for a year or more. After some pre-start checks and putting some upper cylinder lube in the pots and turning over with the spark plugs out. All it took was a brief squirt of aero-start into the carbie and it fired up on 1st attempt. After a brief warm up it idled and ran sweetly.

On the down side there is a clutch issue that I will have to sort out. Pedal goes almost to the floor before doing anything.
Also the tub is a reproduction. At least there is not any rust.

There are several little things to be sorted out and finished off with it but that is half the fun.

I will finally get around to posting some photos once I get back home.

Phil...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Phil, I am sure you are familiar with the clutch adjustment procedures. Were you able to drive it? Look forward to seeing your photos.

Phil4280

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes!
No can't drive it as the clutch wont function properly. I got a feeling that it is missing or has the wrong pivot ball for the fork fitted or wrong clutch cable, It is adjusted up all the way and the pedal still goes almost to the floor before starting to engage.

Seeing I am some 3600 klm from home with limited workshop facilities and booked to fly back home on Sunday it will have to wait until I get it back home to make a proper assessment of what's up with it. Will just make getting it transported a bit more of an hassle. Such is the life of a chaser or green rust!

Phil...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone has had the clutch linkage apart recently they may have made a very common mistake. The clutch cross shaft has two levers (arms) on it. One is long and one is short. The short one goes closest to the frame rail and the long one goes closest to the engine/tranny.

Phil4280

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my M38A1 should be on its jurney to its new home. Hopefulu its some where between Perth Western Australia and Brisbane Queensland. A trip of some 4000 klms give or take.
I can not wait to get it into my workshop and fix the few problems it has and finish off its restoration.

Photos pending...

Phil...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: