Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New here, contemplating purchasing this 52 M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here, contemplating purchasing this 52 M38A1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjorn2bwild

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: New here, contemplating purchasing this 52 M38A1 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I stumbled across this '52 M38A1 on Craigslist and got the itch to explore it a little more.

I'd like to ask for opinions of the condition and what it would likely take to at the least get this running with the ultimate goal of a restoration.

From the dash data plate, the Serial number is MD26242 and the date of delivery was 10/52. I did not know of the right wheelhouse patent plate until after I had already checked it out, so obviously, I didn't look for it.

Judging from what's left of the paint and the hood stencil, it was a USMC jeep.

It is... not in good shape. The owner selling it now says the previous owner to him "ran it into a tree, that's when it stopped working".

There is extensive body damage and rust is prevalent everywhere on the tub. The interior, aside from the data plates, might as well not exist. There have been some modifications to the suspension. It has been adapted to a spring over axle lift, as well as had a home-brewed "body lift" added by welding plates to the tub body mount locations Shocked. The gas tank is totally destroyed. The wheels are aftermarket wheels and the tires are non-military tires.

I discovered the reason why it's not running is the radiator was pressed into the fan.

It's been sitting outside without moving for at least three years.

So, Is this thing worth attempting to salvage? The seller is not asking for much for it.

And, without further adieu, here are some pics I took yesterday:

More pics can be found here:

http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/bjorn2bwild/52%20M38A1/

I look forward to hearing opinions.

Photo sizes edited from 450K to a more reasonable size. See For Sale Posting Rules: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=31076#31076

Wes K Site Administrator
STXM38A1

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Judging from what's left of the paint and the hood stencil, it was a USMC jeep.

Those jarheads are obviously much rougher on their equipment than the Army grunts.

The right front windshield hinge (on cowl) looks good.

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: A1 Reply with quote

GOOD WAY TO GET A REPOP BODY KIT !! HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GET IT FROM JAY @ WILLYS OVERLAND IN TOLEDO OHIO..

THAT WOULD BE A GOOD WINTER PROJECT Wink
Yarder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to ask for opinions of the condition and what it would likely take to at the least get this running with the ultimate goal of a restoration.

All it takes is money!
army_inc

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the kind of restoration you are going for. If I were in your shoes, I'd leave that thing alone. You will end up paying just as much for a new body kit as you would for a good solid jeep that maybe doesn't run. To me, it just looks to rusty and I wouldn't want to deal with it. Then again I'm doing my restoration on a budget. If money is something you aren't lacking and have a ton extra of it, then yes, this wouldn't be a bad one. First you'd want to send some my way Laughing and then buy that jeep and fix everything Bubba has done to lift it. I'm sure if Bubba's done one thing that you can see, he's probably done a lot more that you can't. I slowly figured that out while taking off the body of my jeep. I have an old USMC 10/52 as well. It'll be a fun project no doubt. Like I said, if it were me, I'd find another one and leave that one alone.
RICKG

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New here, contemplating purchasing this 52 M38A1 Reply with quote

[quote="bjorn2bwild"] The seller is not asking for much for it.

] I hope not..It's beat to death.. I'd run like heck and not look back!!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has value as a parts jeep. Maybe $500 or $600 worth of parts but your handling, moving and stripping would reduce the value of the jeep to about $200 or $300.

A person willing to invest the time and money needed to rebuild that tub or frame would be very hard to find.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
timjuhl

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: M38A1 Reply with quote

Wes is correct as are the other posters..... My Jeep was running and in a lot better shape but the cost of repairs and parts can rapidly push the price up. That said, I did buy a $200 parts Jeep and got two or three times that cost in parts off it.... Either to use myself or sell to pay for other parts.

It might help if you posted your geographical location.... There might be some guys close to you that could offer suggestions or take a look at it.

Tim
TomM

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: M38A1 Reply with quote

a clean title matching the data plates is should be part of the purchase.

Tom
bl5211a

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pass, unless you can get it for nothing and even then it may only be good for a few miscellaneous parts.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it may have been a rock crawler and it tumbled down the cliff.
The frame is probably out of shape as well.
FrankenJeep

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really sad. It does like it took an awful tumble. *Some* people should not be allowed NEAR a Jeep, IMHO. I reserve my most disrepectful contempt of them Sad My Jeep, I have discovered, has received some rough treatment, too, and from the damage that DID occur, it is a wonder it survived. Apparently, "Willy" took such a lick it dislocated the spring pack and flattened the spring eye. We took the spring off the axle and squeezed the leaves back in place and put on a new shackle to get it back into alignment. It is a wonder the old fella didn't have a warped frame, and how they were able to damage the spring without bending something else is a mystery.

Except for parts, I would leave this one alone unless you are up for a huge challenge. I love Jeeps, but not THAT much.

FJ
FrankenJeep

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also looks like it is sitting "whopperjawed" Confused Crying or Very sad indicating a bent frame????

FJ
gpw6335

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worth the effort. Look around for a better one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> For Sale All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: